Special HvH scenario ?

Desaix

Hello folks,

The more I play and the more I read AA, the more Allies need MPP bid to make even games with Axis... Definitly over 200 in 1/5/20 for most players...

As The cookie-cutter is becoming the standard, Germany starts Barbarosa with a huge army and the standardized opening of the Russian campain is now able to destroy more than half of the Russian military capacity in a single turn (up to 9 armies, 2 tank, 2 plans as far as I remember)... So some players are even offering to play in 1/5/30 system for more balance...

So it seems that Russian campain is the weakest point in the scenario as it is now a piece of cake without a huge bid to rebuild the Russian army...

My question/suggestion is : is there a scenario specialy designed for games between 2 players ?

If not maybe we should build it ? My ideas on this are to have just a couple of minor changes to the orginial campain to fix the Russian part so maybe we can come down to something like 1/5/10 bid system or something like this...

My ideas to fix the Russian front in the secnario are:

-Add corps in ALL Russian cities so they can start entrenchement since turn 1 or be operate...

- Move tanks and plans one or 2 hex backward so they can't be destroyed in turn 1

- Add few corps (maybe 2 or 3) at the German border to prevent the deep advance an oversized german army is able to do in one turn...

-Add a HQ for Russia at the begining of war (in Moscow I guess)

-Maybe replace some of corps in cities by armies

-Adding 1 or 2 Rocket units to Russian, because they have nice noise when they move and nobody have seen them for centuries ;)

(-Maybe one or 2 corps could be also added to Spain just to slow a little this campain by covering Vichy's border)

So I was thinking that with very few changes to the scenario we could come to more balanced and fun games... What are your opinions ?

Desaix

[ December 04, 2004, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Desaix ]

the standard setting tries to be as historical as possible...indeed the initial german attack was powerful...and at the time of barbarossa, axis attacked having numerical superiority...

for H2H purposes, u can offset to some extent the axis advantage playing with higher bids. But it depends on the xp of the players involved...Terif posted some time ago on this, how ppl should bid taking into consideration their xp. Of course it is all a matter of agreement between players. If you feel like 1/5/20 ain't enough, up the bid. But repositioning troops, apart from being not historical (which might be ok for some players), would allow the russians to save a lot of mpps. In this case, by lowering the bid (1/5/10), you get into the same situation as in 1/5/20 without repositioning troops. If u stick to 1/5/20 but allow troops repositioning, it may be too much for axis to cope with - think that there are 9 armies, 2 tanks, 2 planes, 1 cruiser that can be destroyed should the german attack is played properly - that means over 4k mpps (IT not accounted for) - and that is quite a lot even for terif i think ;)

Just a quick note about historical settings...

This is not relevant here for the Russian invasion, since everybody is doing cookie-cutter, the historical accuracy is already dead.

Russia and Spain would not have had the military setting they had if Sweden, Vichy, Malta, Egypt, Gibraltar etc. had fallen at the pace they do in cookie cutter startegy... So sticking to historical setting is just not... realist here smile.gif

Desaix

Mmm... I looked at the campain editor and it seems that we can not change the setting of passive countries... So I guess there is no way to change the Russian setting for Barbarosa in the 1939 scenario as it is hardcoded somewhere in game or in the scenario file :(

Unless Hubert gives us access to these setting for christmas...

Desaix

Desaix, there are customs that target the various things you have addressed but they are not historical. SC is a game with an historical setting, it does not proceed in an historical manner, it is a "what if". If you want to try a custom design for HtoH that is balanced towards the historical conclusion, "Allies Win", then send me your email address and I will forward you "Sphinx". Be forwarned it is an abbreviated ETO campaign starting in Dec 1940; Poland, LC, France, and Norway have succumbed and Spain has joined the Axis, with Italy bogged down in Greece. No bids or special house rules are necessary, but it is difficult for the Axis to win without some luck between two equal players.

[ December 04, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: SeaMonkey ]

I'm new in this forum but i have one suggestion to this problem... If it even is a problem. Of course this thing can only partly solve the situation but anyway... Why not give USSR and USA higher starting levels to war readiness ?

Historically Axis declared war (and conquered) "only" to Norway, Denmark, Greece and LC. In the game those DOW's rises USSR war readiness only 20 % or something, so in the normal settings it would be 50 percent... Plenty of time to rape and steal...

Well i'm not very experienced player, have not tried this (i and my friends are until now felt that it is easier to win with allied, well now axis wins "always" with normal settings without bids).

We know that USSR would not have declared war to Germany in any case in year 1941 (historically). In this scenario Germany have to attack against Russia in the summer 1941 or Germany can't conquer that many minors before Barbarossa. And of course US. Percent should be higher too... What about starting percents 25 to US and 50 to USSR ?

And about the bid systems. What does it really mean, for example 1:5:20. Does it mean that UK gets the same in the start (as France), USA 5 times 180 = 900 . And Russia 20 times it's start production. Do you enter these values in the editor ? Or can you use multipliers or how do you input these in the game...

yes, in 1/5/20 bid system means uk get x, USA 5*x and ussr 20*x

you open the campaign editor and enter the amount of bid - the game will automatically add your bid to the starting default levels for each countries

so at a bid of , say, 200 , uk will have 115 (its initial default MPPs; if i remember correctly) + 200 (the bid) = 315; the same rule apply for usa and ussr.

Yeah i got that, thanks smile.gif '

Well we start next game with 1/5/20 and 200. This

sounds huge advantage to ally as we are not very experienced but maybe i can make it with Axis.

But the thing itself, could higher war readiness percentages make it more even to allies without bids ?

if you ppl are new to the game, u should use less stronger bidding systems like 1:8 or 1:5:10 or something like this...search this forum for some recommendations on bidding related to the experience level of players posted by terif some months ago...i am too lazy to search it for you right now ;)