SC2 Idea - Axis Selects Atlantic Sub Starting Location

Edwin P.

Here's a simple idea to make the initial sub hunt more interesting;

At the start of the game, before moving any units, the Axis player selects one of three fixed locations as the starting location for the German Subs that start in the Atlantic - North Atlantic, Mid Atlantic or South Atlantic.

[ February 16, 2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Nice idea, although I'd like an area rather than fixed points. To prevent pre-planning of the opening move, you could have a slight randomisation factor, so you don't necesarily start precisely where you select. Still, not sure if that last point is necessary.

Even better idea, remove the subs from the board, and let the Allies deal with them being an effect, not merely a weird form of whack a mole.

If they are on the board we will find them, and then two turns later no subs.

Call that historically accurate, think again.

I have never once fought the "battle of the Atlantic" in SC. I either ignore them, or go out and kill them. There is never any chance they will survive if the Allied player decides they are toast.

It's not a fight, just a case of does the Allied player care.

Here's an idea I think is the best.

The axis player can decide how much MPPs he/she wants to invest in sub operations.

The allied player can do the same but with anti-sub operations, all carried out more in calculation then in actually moves on the board.

Who ever invests more gets a better chance of "winning" turns in the battle of the atlantic, for example, early in the game, the Germans have more MPPs to play with then the allies, so they will usally be winning more of these turns, and the effect is the Allies lose MPPs, preferably more then one would invest in sub operations making it cost effective.

If the Allies win the game of chance, Germany should lose a certain amount of MPPs they have invested in subs, thus they would have the option of investing more the bring themselves back up to level, or play at a reduced chance from there until they invest more.

Obviously at any time, the axis can pull their subs from the atlantic just like they did in real life, and have to spend no MPPs and the game of chance will not be played, however of course the Allies will no longer be losing MPPs/Convoys. just like in real life

It's ethier this or make the map much bigger :-p