objective flags or lack thereof

I would like to hear some comments about what a player's reaction would be to a small-map scenario that had no objective flags and no exit conditions.

The victory of course would depend on the number of kills.

But would it be too vague for the average player to know what to do? I dont like "scripting" a scenario, but with a small map and well contrived briefing the players would roughly know where geographically to expect the defence.

Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Pzman:

The no flag system can work, if people play head to head, but of course unless somone takes the attacker vs AI, it wouldn't be any fun for single player action.

The scenario I have in mind to test this approach is designed as Attacker VS AI. It is the "HSG Operation Snowdrop" available at TPG, but the current version has flags. Iron Duke suggested taking out the flags after a playtest and it got the squirrels in my brain turning the weels. I think it might work...

JTD I will take you up on your offer (and anyone else) and send you the no flag version to test. It's a quick 15 turn fixed.

Thanks,