Help with building scenario

I wanted to make my scenario a battle damaged area (artillery craters), I don't think I can do it except on random generated maps. Can anyone give ideas on this? Can you add foxholes?

Also when creating reinforcements, will they automatically jump onto available transport in the same group of reinforcements? Any way to control this?

I'm all excited about this really cool map I'm making. I used an actual map of German country side that I got off of Old Hickory.com (I think that is the name of the site.) Anyway it really makes for better map making to use parts of actual terrain as I'm sure you all already know, but it's something I'm just discovering.

My map is a 1.5km X 2 km area. I may have to make it into an operation due to the size. Which is something I've never done, but if it's as fun as making these scenarios, then I'm in for some sleepless nights.

Hi!

Have you read the manual at all? You can manually add craters in the edit state.

Yes, some infantery and guns will be automatically riding on/attached to vehicles. Seems to be a bit random and you can't expect your platons to be kept together. :(

Use Mapping Mission when you create landscapes from real maps, makes it a whole lot more easier. tongue.gif

1.5 x 2 km doesn't sound so big to me! No need to make it an OP. Create the map in MM and then you can make both senarios and OPs - maximum flexibility :cool:

Regards!

[ May 05, 2005, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Sgt AA ]

SGT AA, Hi! I am a noooobie at this scenario making. I'm in CMBB map editor and not seeing any option to add craters. I'm not completely patched up because I only have internet at work and not at home. Can't download stuff! :(

Is the crater editor a patch, or is it in CMAK? I have the CMBB hard copy manual so I'll look in there. I also have the CMAK disk. Is there an Adobe manual that is worth reading on the CMAK disk? Does it contain additional info?

What is Mapping Mission? Is this a website or a CM community tool on a CM website? That would be cool because as much as I enjoy making this map, it does take a long time.

Thanks GreenAsJade. When I get home from work I will check it out. I just figured the CMBB manual would be the same as an adobe CMAK manual.

Hotkey buttons! What a concept!

This CM community is incredibly helpful and well informed. I can't believe the time and interest people take to help other players.

Speaking of help. Is there a help line for CM addicts? I may need to call it. I'm spending more and more time on this game. Is it possible to be able to play the game only sometimes as opposed to all the time? Am I destined to lose contact with all my friends and family as a result of this game? What happens when CMx2 comes out? I might manage to pry myself away from the computer and then I will be hit with BFC's next product. Any suggestions?

The "hot key" button for craters is "Alt+1" through "ALT+4" depending on the size of the crater. "Alt+5" turns craters off.

This is in the "hot key" section in the game menu (on the lower part of your screen).

This makes one crater at a time. This is NOT the route you want to go if you want a fully cratered landscape. It may be too later since you have already been working on this map of yours. But -- start a quick battle and specify how cratered you want the map to be. Let the program create a random, cratered map. Save it. Then clear everything off and start designing your map from there. Your craters may not be exactly where you want them, but you can start adding your own at that point. Looks more realistic and saves a lot of time.

Advice on creating scenarios, especially if this is your first -- START SMALL. The AI will not behave logically and you can not give AI troops standing orders like "attack", "defend this location" and "don't run out of the well designed defensive positions I have spent the last month creating for you to cross 300m of open terrain just to get cut down by enemy machine guns and tanks thus ruining an otherwise perfectly designed scenario."

And when it comes to Operations things get even tricker. Seriously.

But good luck. Don't forget to check out The Proving Grounds (TPG) web site if you have not already. www.the-proving-grounds.com

A note to all new scenario designers -- Play test before posting to the Scenario Depot, please. Post to TPG before posting to SD. It helps everyone. smile.gif

Bannon

Originally posted by laze and blaze:

Thanks GreenAsJade. When I get home from work I will check it out. I just figured the CMBB manual would be the same as an adobe CMAK manual.

Hotkey buttons! What a concept!

This CM community is incredibly helpful and well informed. I can't believe the time and interest people take to help other players.

Speaking of help. Is there a help line for CM addicts? I may need to call it. I'm spending more and more time on this game. Is it possible to be able to play the game only sometimes as opposed to all the time? Am I destined to lose contact with all my friends and family as a result of this game? What happens when CMx2 comes out? I might manage to pry myself away from the computer and then I will be hit with BFC's next product. Any suggestions?

If you take yourself on over to The Proving Grounds all they do is help game designers work out their problems and then playtest their results.

You can find them here:

http://the-proving-grounds.com

Best bunch of guys in the CM universe, IMHO, of course... :D