Brain flash SC the board game

Hey Hubert, just had a moment of brilliance (I think it was brilliance smile.gif ).

Ever thought of turning SC into a board game?

Literally SC the board game, same regions same pieces same rules.

Ok some stuff would need dice rolls.

Only thing I have no immediate answer to is air interception. But if our esteemed forum community can't offer a bajillion ways to do something that simple, then I will be shocked.

Game can normally be played with fog turned off so that wouldn't preclude it working here with normal board game full disclosure too.

Pity it can't copy the Columbia Games block design, but our units have more than 4 steps.

I think the hex design would port well, and the fact only one unit is ever in a hex would sure make stacking a no brainer.

Of course, people would actually have to learn about movement mechanics and combat interactions as the computer wouldn't do it for them. But I think it would fly eh.

I think that a lot of the game could easily be turned into a board game.

But the following would also be difficult to do while keeping it simple:

1) supply rules

2) Damage to resources.

3) Experience levels.

4) Research could involve a lot of (secret?) die rolling every turn.

Taking the basic concept and possibly ignoring some of these things might be the answer.

But can we have SC2 first please? smile.gif

Personally, I would not touch that game with a 10' pole.

ONE reason, dice rolls. Brings the element of luck to the game, no thanks, I don't care for that in Strategy game.

Axix & Allies is the prime example, you're all setup to destroy the enemy outnumbering him 3-1 and you end up loosing because of rolls. :mad:

I once had a game of Risk where I decided to go tikkle my neighbour. I attacked with 8 units into a territory with about 50 units in it. I rolled sixes all the way. I stopped when I was down to 4 pieces and had killed of 43 of his, that's when my luck broke :D

The guy didn't play Risk for a while to come.

Die roles are what they are,love'em, hate'em. They add suspense, frustration, hope, joy and anger to a game.

Hehe it's just a notion eh guys, and it's actually unlikely that Hubert would have a brain melt down doing it.

Supply would be easy though, it is either in supply or not. That is already there in the game, you just don't see it.

Damage to a resource, nothing more complex than a numbered counter. This has been done in games for years, not complex at all. It's just an attack roll really, and a resolution.

Experience levels would be easy too, just add a counter under the unit. And with only one unit in a hex, nope no burden of two many counters in one hex.

Research could be done as an open roll really. If your roll succeeds it succeeds.

So what your opponent finds out you just succeeded.

Of course negative luck would be unfortunate, as it tells you didn't succeed. Hardly a game breaker though.

I would be surprised even greatly surprised if Hubert did it at all let alone before SC2 though hehe.

But on the subject of rolling dice, what do you think the computer is doing in the first place. Dice merely generate random generated numbers non electronically. But they are still random.

Your game is already being affected by luck Blashy, it has been since day one. Overwhelming odds are never absolutely invalable.