Light Bridges Heavy Tanks

To simulate a delay in crossing a bridge (or any other part of a map for that matter), you could use some obstacles in front of and behind the bridge.

A roadblock could be used to block half of the road and another on the opposite side of the road on the other side of the bridge. This will at least cause the player to set an additional waypoint.

A "tank ditch" -- at least 2 trenches on a dirt road would slow a vehicle considerably. Not sure of bogging changes for a trench.

Of course, these options are pretty ugly and effect HT and wheeled vehicles the same or more.

What I did for my last one was to put the light tanks at the approach to the bridge, and put the heavy tanks downstream on the enemy side of the river. This is to simulate them crossing somewhere else. The different colour setup zones prevents the player from moving either tanks to different sides of the river.

I have large heavy buildings guarding the bridge and did not want the heavies being used to take the buildings down.

You can also put a daisy chain mine under a bridge (using the editor) this stops it being used by vehicles but allows foot traffic for simming lighter bridges.

You can also use multiple mines to simulate damage or obstacles to be cleared before the bridge can be used.

See Small Battles, Sigh Bridge 1940 for a scenario built on this method.

Have you actually tested this?

The reason I ask is that it most certainly does NOT work if you try it with a roadblock; even a truck'll drive straight across unhindered by the roadblock. But I didn't try a minefield...

Originally posted by Hans:

You can also put a daisy chain mine under a bridge (using the editor) this stops it being used by vehicles but allows foot traffic for simming lighter bridges.

Originally posted by Brent Pollock:

Have you actually tested this?

The reason I ask is that it most certainly does NOT work if you try it with a roadblock; even a truck'll drive straight across unhindered by the roadblock. But I didn't try a minefield...

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hans:

</font>