Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

USSR reinforcement arrival

AndrewT

I have a situation in my currect game that I suspect is WaD, but seems unrealistic to me.

The Germans are creaming me in Russia and I ended up forming a hedgehog around Moscow - HQ in the city and 6 corps around it - while the rest of my units retreated to the urals and caucasus mountains.

To my horror I find I cannot place any new units while Moscow is cut off from the rest if the USSR. Not armies, ships, planes, nothing.

If I make a 1-hex wide connection into the Moscow pocket I can build as normal, but that is no longer possible. Consequently I am building up a huge bank of unused MMPs. All I can spend them on is repairing existing units.

What do people think of this situation?

That is the way the game was designed. Better off losing moscow than hedgehodging it. Since you brought it up, why have we heard of no abuses of this in ladder games? I can't believe that EVERYBODY that plays on the ladder is above using the gamey surround Moscow tactic.

Gorskii

I see what you mean, I could have disbanded some of the corps inside the hedgehog and built armies there instead. I would sacrifice their experience and entrenchment of course. But in any case I believe there was no chance of a breakout succeeding.

It is now moot as Moscow has fallen. Now I have the same situation elsewhere; I can build in the urals but not the causasus. Fortunately the south is pretty robust for the time being and I was able to spend all those accumulated MMPs building new armies and an HQ in the Urals. He'll take it eventually but it will be tough.

I thought 1.06 was to solve this problem, the 'three capitals' section of the rules adjustmen that came with the patch should cover this. As far a ladder games - some VERY gamey moves will not be 'allowed'. Word will get out if one player uses such moves and he might find it hard to get players to match skills with him.