Headquarter Unit

Amy Aemilius

Can anyone comment about my experience about headquarter unit? Playing as the Allies, I surrounded the Rommel HQ unit and pounded it to 2 strength points. On the next turn, this unit was able to reinforce itself to 8 strength points. Is this a bug? How could a surrounded unit reinforce itself?

Amy

Ah yes, the supply center problem... I understand now, was enjoying the holiday a bit much if you get my drift... It does seem to be a problem. But then Rommel was well known for racing around in his big staff car... maybe HQ units should be that resilient as they do not represent all that many troops. What? For an army group sized staff maybe a couple hundred? As long as the radios hol out... I'm thinking in game terms here, of course it would be silly if they were enveloped with an adjacent combat unit and the combat unit were likewise refreshed.

Presumably a HQ would have more resources to draw upon than your ordinary unit, such as new troops being sent to front-line armies, and other assorted last-ditch staff defenders, such as MPs, cooks, clerks, brass polishers, etc, so it seems reasonable that the HQ could muster more strength (... plus, it was likely very well protected to start with -- no General is going to camp out without some close-by reserve to call upon... ). ;)

Who cares if the HQ unit is resupplied? It does not do any damage to you if you attack it, plus you keep getting experience for the troops you use to attack. It is very expensive for a country to resupply an HQ that is doomed - money that they could be using elsewhere or putting into research. In one gamey approach in the Barbarosa Campaign I kept attacking the English HQ in Africa and England kept pouring all their money in it to resupply. This took up all their money and allowed me to build up my "Sealion" Forces. A human oppenant with any sence would just let the HQ die and bite his/her lip - unless a rescue was possible...