Hubert, 1-more-patch, 1-more-feature, expand Atlantic

I've been on vacation so I haven't been able to respond.

Immer Etwas --- Thanks for the poetic tips, I appreciate your recommendations although I don't understand them. Therefore, since I don't understand, your secrets are safe. From time to time, I may indulge into your kingdom rhymes (with a few Silverbullets, that's American Coor's brew). You are the poem ICON.

TO ALL THE PEOPLE who say Hubert is done making patches: Get some Faith. He said the same thing with 1.06. Where are the salespeople? SC is on the verge of something great & you quit asking. "Ask & you shall receive...For if you being evil know how to give..." --- From one of the Gospels.

Eddie P. --- Thanks for the posting, you have some good ideas for Hubert. Keep on suggesting & "INVENT". Don't get caught you in PBEM, convert to TCP/IP & work on your game. Once you defeat some valid players, you'll be able to influence the Forum.

Codename Clone --- Dude, even your smack is cloned! Your whole life is a clone! Can you think for yourself? Be your own man. "Whatever the world does, I say do the opposite" --- Ricky Romano from the movie GlenGary GlenRoss.

Konstatin V. Kotelnikov --- I don't know history which is mixed into SC gameplay? Just because you watched the History Channel's "life of the T-34" doesn't mean squat. I read books, have 2-degrees from 2-state universities, & have 124 cable channels...whatever. "Basketball, wargames, & church are alike. Many attend & participate, but few understand." --- Rambo-Hollywood-Vegas quote July 13, 2003.

Liam --- You're a fighter, work on your French defense & you can stay in the Top 5 of the world. You've been in the SC Family for awhile, you need a couple of breakout victories. You are a factor, & will become a bigger one.

Hubert --- Please make more changes to SC, then you won't need SC-2. Breakout a new genre (see Sid Meier). If you need any pointers on gaming (or life), let me know, I can help: C++ methods, new datastructures, debug some of your coupling problems, semaphores, resources conflicts, race conditions, syntax, design, unit test, regression test, black/white box testing, debug, log files, component code reviews, memory stomps, external devices, bus speeds, etc.

Doing my job,

Rambo-Hollywood-Vegas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OUT

[ July 14, 2003, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

TO ALL THE PEOPLE who say Hubert is done making patches: Get some Faith.
Nothing personal, Rambo, but here's some Faith for you. When Hubert says that Hubert is done making patches, I BELIEVE it. tongue.gif

v1.07 is final because it made some minor corrections for the European release, and those changes were made available to us. As will the new graphics package. If the European release had not happened, then v1.06 probably would have been the final patch. So let's be thankful for that.

Here's the reality. Hubert could continue making patches to the current game engine. But patches don't pay the bills. There are enough substantial changes to be made, such as completely reworking the code to accomodate a larger map, to warrant a game revision and new release. It's time to move on to SC2. Have a little Faith in Hubert and let him figure out what to do next.

If $20 could get Hubert to change his mind and tweak a few more things in a patch, that would be nice. Really, I'm not arguing with you. But expanding the map requires more than a patch. The bottom line is that Hubert is not going to expend any more time and effort reworking the SC1 code for free. This is Economics 101 stuff, pure and simple.

If some operating system changes come along, or DirectX changes, or some other video/sound issues arise that warrant a minor patch for SC1, then maybe we'll see another one. But don't expect any significant changes.

Most folks already understand the obvious and are willing to wait for SC2 with a larger map, improved features, enhanced AI, and a full function editor. If we're going to start a fund, let it be for SC2 preorders. :cool:

Hubert --- What are the pro's & con's of improving SC instead of creating SC-2 in regards to playabilitity, time, & cash? Are SC patches done? Is SC-2 going to be European WW-2?

Bottom line: Instead of $20, I'll pay the same thing I paid for the game $25 for you to revamp this puppy.

If SC is "really done", how long to I get to play SC-2? (or whatever you're making).

I'm one of battlefront.com's biggest marketers,

Rambo-Hollywood-Vegas

With the upcoming release of SC by GMX Media in Europe, perhaps there will be one more update (not a patch as I think the game works fine as is) with simple improvements to the AI.

[ July 16, 2003, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

More Atlantic, all Scandanavia, more North

Africa (At least enough for flanking),

more Russia,(Or even all of Russia)

and at least a somewhat realistic North American

coast and Iceland. Somebody out there please

make a patch! Are the code and memory requirements really impossible to overcome?

How about some definate news about SC 2.

It's hard to live on only hope.

Somebody save us!

Patch Suggestions - For Editor

1. Option to disallow unit types

Ie Disallow Jets in ancients campaign

2. Option to Disallow specific research options

Ie Disallow jets research in Ancients campaign

3. Option to Move Capital City of An AI controlled nation.

4. Option to create HQ units for major power force pools

ie Create Lee in American Civil War Campaign

5. Option to specify unit icon set to use with each saved campaign.

Ie Civil War scenario would know to use Civil War unit icon file.

6. Option to disallow all research during a campaign.

-------------------------------------------------

[ July 22, 2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]