The Grandmaster Event: (Best of 5 games). GAME #4 Zapp (Axis) vs Terif,

zappsweden

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bid is 240 in 1:5:30, i.e. with the ~1000 mpps it gets anyway, Russia started with around 8000 mpps + most units survived the first strike smile.gif .

With the "ZCC" Axis is very low in mpps both collected ones until Barbarossa as well as in mpps/turn. Additionally western Allies can save a lot of units and hold France pretty long - UK/France evacuated a total of 14 ! units from France including french HQ, tank + army.

So when USA joined, Allies were 2:1 superior in numbers already and around 200 mpps/turn ahead.

Now with Iraq, Africa, Balkans, Spain etc. Allies are getting something around 350-400 mpps more mpps each turn than Axis smile.gif .

Since Allies invested heavily into research, they should soon catch up too (Russia just got Jets 1). UK is already ahead in Jets (Jets 3 vs Germany 2) and has also some LR (but Germany still leading with LR 3). So Axis will need a miracle to win this one...

8000mpps for russia alone? Holy crap, you guys really know how to play this game.

I give a player 8000mpps for Russia and he'll just stonewall me. Of course I have played a human about a total of 16 times in 3 years.

I pretty much saw the end when Iraq fell into allied hands and Greece still allied.

Still was a different read than usual.

I still say you guys would find games much more challenging if you tried a few no tech games.

Game continues:

March 8, 1942:

- Spain and Greece surrender to Axis, Odessa lost

- Russia liberates Beirut and the last Iraqi oilfield, still 4 axis units cut off near Baghdad...russian soldiers continue rabbit hunting in the desert :D

- airbattles over France

- UK and US forces start evacuation from Gibraltar

- Russia reaches LR 1

April 5, 1942:

- all UK forces from Spain evacuated, 2 US armies defending Lisbon and the fortress.

- spanish Marocco, Algier, Tripoli and Sicily heavily fortified by Allies now

- UK air attacks in France, no airbattles, Brest under attack, transports along the french coast

- in Egypt an italian corps is not fast enough...or the russian tanks were faster...it got killed on the way to Suez, Suez liberated. Another 2 italian armies destroyed in the desert near Baghdad.

- battles near Kiev start

- Russia gets LR 2

Airpower:

Germany: 7 AFs (Jets 2, LR 3)

UK: 3 AFs + 3 carrier (Jets 3, LR 1)

USA: 1 AF (Jets 1, LR 1)

Russia: 9 AFs (Jets 1, LR 2)

Axis surrender. I cannot fight against L3 jets in the west. Spain took more time since Allies held vichy.

The correct way to use ZCC would be to plan for a stall strategy in the east, conquering all neutrals and then with IT actually get MPP advantage.

My 2 problems this game was Spain+Vichy and Iraq. I had no air on sicily and could then not land in Algeria after Terifs Naval counter.

In Iraq, since I had low supply I could not reach the mountain to stall Russia. Correct in this case would have been having an HQ (Italian perhaps) and a tank for the Iraq invasion. Tank would reach the mountain stall hex turn 2 Barbarossa.

To succeed in all the above, Axis need to use a tech strategy for stalling. I invested only 2 chits AT this game and got no AT, crucial for stalling.

ZCC is tough to win with. April 1940 is too late getting Paris even with this strategy.

[ July 10, 2005, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

May 3, 1942:

Massive landings in and around Brest (garrison wiped out), Eisenhower commands a strong US army task force, french tanks and lots of UK corps + armies...no german resistance any more...

The last axis defenders in Iraq got killed, Alexandria under siege...

Heavy air and ground battles around Kiev as Russia starts the offensive there...

Allies superior 2:1 in numbers, getting nearly twice as much mpps/turn than Axis...

Finally Axis accept they have no chance any more ...as it has been the case since a long time...Axis surrender unconditionally.

[ July 10, 2005, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Yep, with normal bids it is not possible to win with ZCC.

By attacking their own minors Axis looses too much time and mpps not to mention their minor units - as the last games showed they can never compensate it and start Barbarossa with around a 2:1 inferiority in numbers and also very low income compared to Allies.

Summary of the best of 5.

Game #1: Zapp win with Allies using ZAS

Game #2: Terif win with Allies against the ZCC

Game #3: Terif win with Axis against a failed assumption on that a deliberately failed LC gambit would not bring Italy into the war

Game #4: Terif win with Allies against ZCC