Hints for new/intermediate players and basic knowledge SC

Terif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good advise Terif, and glad to see the Master posting it. The only thing I would add is on the Russian border; you need combat units IN the citys after the fall of France and as time progress the TYPE of units is important. Armys are better then corps ect...

Good advise Terif, and glad to see the Master posting it. The only thing I would add is on the Russian border; you need combat units IN the citys after the fall of France and as time progress the TYPE of units is important. Armys are better then corps ect...

Iron Ranger: You are right about the units IN cities ( this was perhaps not clear enough)both cities should be occupied at the end.

But concerning the quality of the units you are wrong: if corps, armies, tanks or HQs doesnt matter. I usually only use 4 corps until 2 turns before my attack on Russia.

Only when the game checks for too MUCH units near the border the quality counts perhaps. There seems to be much more variables that count in this case.

But for the minimum requirement only the number counts, not the quality.

By the way, my last SC game has just finished, so I go to bed now. Have to get some sleep now smile.gif .

[ March 13, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Iron Ranger: You are right about the units IN cities ( this was perhaps not clear enough)both cities should be occupied at the end.

But concerning the quality of the units you are wrong: if corps, armies, tanks or HQs doesnt matter. I usually only use 4 corps until 2 turns before my attack on Russia.

Only when the game checks for too MUCH units near the border the quality counts perhaps. There seems to be much more variables that count in this case.

But for the minimum requirement only the number counts, not the quality.

By the way, my last SC game has just finished, so I go to bed now. Have to get some sleep now smile.gif .

[ March 13, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]

I'll concede the point of type of units to the master, but in my play tests the type of units did factor (seamed to, random generator my be the cause) in the amount the readness would incress, less for armys (in citys) but you don't want to place too many units in the border region, you need balace.

But as stated there are alot of varibales to work on in that area. Best if each person did thier own play test to work out these finer points as you can only exchage limited info without posting a map.

Side note: Units used in the readness count only are registered if above the MT hexs in eastern Poland. Only play tested once so I might be wrong on this but my games have born out this fact.

I'll concede the point of type of units to the master, but in my play tests the type of units did factor (seamed to, random generator my be the cause) in the amount the readness would incress, less for armys (in citys) but you don't want to place too many units in the border region, you need balace.

But as stated there are alot of varibales to work on in that area. Best if each person did thier own play test to work out these finer points as you can only exchage limited info without posting a map.

Side note: Units used in the readness count only are registered if above the MT hexs in eastern Poland. Only play tested once so I might be wrong on this but my games have born out this fact.

Thanks for the info Terif but i have one question though. In France I like to keep all the cities garrisoned with corps while I leave 3-4 armies and a panzer group in reserve. I also keep 3 fighter groups in the area in range of each other. When the allies invade I move in my reserves and destroy the enemy or at least contain them (hopefully). Do you think this is a effective defence or should I go with something else?

Comrade Trapp

Thanks for the info Terif but i have one question though. In France I like to keep all the cities garrisoned with corps while I leave 3-4 armies and a panzer group in reserve. I also keep 3 fighter groups in the area in range of each other. When the allies invade I move in my reserves and destroy the enemy or at least contain them (hopefully). Do you think this is a effective defence or should I go with something else?

Comrade Trapp

Dutch Gambit is not that hard.

Go like this- Poland and Denmark finished on turn 1, with Plunders, get corp-Airfleet, Take Norway QUICK, turn 4, 2 armies, 1 corp, 2 (sometimes one Air) Now you have Italy, and are making more MPP's, attack French ground units, and make sure British Air intercept, Frace will have to reinforce, and if you hit like 3-4 Units per turn, The French can not keep re-inforcing. If you get a clean shot at a British ship take it. focus 2-3 air 2+panzer and army you will destroy a unit- then attack another with 1 air-1 panzer 1 army, get it down to 2, make some hits on the Italian front, just keep hitting them.

Dutch Gambit is not that hard.

Go like this- Poland and Denmark finished on turn 1, with Plunders, get corp-Airfleet, Take Norway QUICK, turn 4, 2 armies, 1 corp, 2 (sometimes one Air) Now you have Italy, and are making more MPP's, attack French ground units, and make sure British Air intercept, Frace will have to reinforce, and if you hit like 3-4 Units per turn, The French can not keep re-inforcing. If you get a clean shot at a British ship take it. focus 2-3 air 2+panzer and army you will destroy a unit- then attack another with 1 air-1 panzer 1 army, get it down to 2, make some hits on the Italian front, just keep hitting them.

Originally posted by Terif:

Yeah, I wonder what is the combination of units which wakens the Russian bear from his hibernation early ? In a current PBEM game, I'm playing Allies and I was shocked and delighted to see the Russians come into it in November '40 ! The Balkans were still neutral. When I attacked Poland, he had two German tank units, one or two air further back and had some Italians there, but certainly nothing approaching the massive build-up for Barbarossa we take for granted in '41. He was hard-pressed to cobble together a defense, though the Hungarians and Romanians have now joined the Axis.

Thank you for your excellent information, Terif. It's great to hear from der Weltmeister. :D That's another thing I really appreciate about this board, the openness of everyone in sharing their knowledge of the game: very, very helpful to us new players.

[ March 14, 2003, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Steve C ]

Originally posted by Terif:

Yeah, I wonder what is the combination of units which wakens the Russian bear from his hibernation early ? In a current PBEM game, I'm playing Allies and I was shocked and delighted to see the Russians come into it in November '40 ! The Balkans were still neutral. When I attacked Poland, he had two German tank units, one or two air further back and had some Italians there, but certainly nothing approaching the massive build-up for Barbarossa we take for granted in '41. He was hard-pressed to cobble together a defense, though the Hungarians and Romanians have now joined the Axis.

Thank you for your excellent information, Terif. It's great to hear from der Weltmeister. :D That's another thing I really appreciate about this board, the openness of everyone in sharing their knowledge of the game: very, very helpful to us new players.

[ March 14, 2003, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Steve C ]

Terif

Couldn't think of any new questions but in reading the thread I found answers to questions I didn't yet have! :D

Agreed with Steve and Shaka and the others, thanks for freely sharing your info with us.

[ March 14, 2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Terif

Couldn't think of any new questions but in reading the thread I found answers to questions I didn't yet have! :D

Agreed with Steve and Shaka and the others, thanks for freely sharing your info with us.

[ March 14, 2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Iron Ranger:

concerning the unit type: I thought the same at the beginning, but you can simply test it in hotseat: reload the same game (mid1941)with exactly the same units in the same position and you will see the readiness increases randomly over the whole range (3-6%)with each reload.

The random factor is fix during one specific reload: so when reloaded it is e.g. every turn 4 %. If you reload again perhaps 6 % every turn or 3 or 5...(with a slight random factor each new turn, sometimes it varies from the basic value +-1)

Comrade Trapp:

Your defence seems to be good for the later stage of war ( after Russia is in the war or short before, when you dont want an allied beachhead in France).

but for 1940/mid1941 it gives a lot of opportunities for Allies to train their carriers and/or kill an airfleet from you. This surely depends on how you place your airfleets and how your opponent plays... ;) . If he doesnt attack you or attack in the wrong place, this defence is excellent, otherwise you have to rethink it - like every strategy depends on how the opponent reacts: against some players it is very good, against others very bad. Thats a strategy game, there exists NOT one single allmighty strategy smile.gif . Its all about developing a strategy, counterstrategy, counter-counterstrategy, counter..... smile.gif

Iron Ranger:

concerning the unit type: I thought the same at the beginning, but you can simply test it in hotseat: reload the same game (mid1941)with exactly the same units in the same position and you will see the readiness increases randomly over the whole range (3-6%)with each reload.

The random factor is fix during one specific reload: so when reloaded it is e.g. every turn 4 %. If you reload again perhaps 6 % every turn or 3 or 5...(with a slight random factor each new turn, sometimes it varies from the basic value +-1)

Comrade Trapp:

Your defence seems to be good for the later stage of war ( after Russia is in the war or short before, when you dont want an allied beachhead in France).

but for 1940/mid1941 it gives a lot of opportunities for Allies to train their carriers and/or kill an airfleet from you. This surely depends on how you place your airfleets and how your opponent plays... ;) . If he doesnt attack you or attack in the wrong place, this defence is excellent, otherwise you have to rethink it - like every strategy depends on how the opponent reacts: against some players it is very good, against others very bad. Thats a strategy game, there exists NOT one single allmighty strategy smile.gif . Its all about developing a strategy, counterstrategy, counter-counterstrategy, counter..... smile.gif

Terif, I also want to thank you for posting your advice and insights. Rambo did something similar a few months ago that was also very informative. Hubert also provided some insight on Allied strategy a while back. And of course many others have offered various Tips and Tricks along the way. Even for those who have played for a while and are at least aware of the many cause-and-effect relationships in SC, it's always useful to have them spelled out. It's been mentioned before that keeping a log during games helps to track and understand what's happening, but most players don't do this. In the end, it all boils down to the player that makes the fewest mistakes usually wins. Knowing what mistakes to avoid will help all players improve their game.

Considering all the strategy material scattered about on the forum now based on all the gameplay experience out there, perhaps it's time to start putting it all together into a single document. I've previously suggested a "Gamer's Guide to Strategic Command" so I'll volunteer to start drafting something. With permission from Terif, Rambo, Hubert, and others, I'll start putting various ideas together for Axis strategy and Allied strategy and we can all build on it from there. Give me a week or so and I'll try to get a Word document posted to Otto's site for feedback, corrections, additional ideas, etc. :cool:

Terif, I also want to thank you for posting your advice and insights. Rambo did something similar a few months ago that was also very informative. Hubert also provided some insight on Allied strategy a while back. And of course many others have offered various Tips and Tricks along the way. Even for those who have played for a while and are at least aware of the many cause-and-effect relationships in SC, it's always useful to have them spelled out. It's been mentioned before that keeping a log during games helps to track and understand what's happening, but most players don't do this. In the end, it all boils down to the player that makes the fewest mistakes usually wins. Knowing what mistakes to avoid will help all players improve their game.

Considering all the strategy material scattered about on the forum now based on all the gameplay experience out there, perhaps it's time to start putting it all together into a single document. I've previously suggested a "Gamer's Guide to Strategic Command" so I'll volunteer to start drafting something. With permission from Terif, Rambo, Hubert, and others, I'll start putting various ideas together for Axis strategy and Allied strategy and we can all build on it from there. Give me a week or so and I'll try to get a Word document posted to Otto's site for feedback, corrections, additional ideas, etc. :cool: