Hints for new/intermediate players and basic knowledge SC

Terif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take a bump. smile.gif

Here's an update. I've collected enough material simply by copying forum comments to fill up a 28-page document. I've roughly sorted them according to Axis/Allies and by campaign. Now to edit, massage, and generally rewrite everything so it makes sense.

I got a generous response from Dan Fenton who has been collecting various forum strategies and tips. His document is also fairly lengthy, full of good stuff, but slightly different from what I was thinking about. Between the two of us, we should be able to put together something comprehensive and useful. But, this is going to take longer than I planned, probably a couple more weeks to get something decent arranged.

Looking back to the Gamer's Guide to Third Reich published many years ago, I note that it took about 2 years to compile that. And that was based on several years of experience and gameplay by the various contributing authors. So this is somewhat ambitious as a "spare-time" project. I will continue to plod along with this and hopefully have something to share with everyone in a couple of weeks. I'll open a new thread at that time to solicite feedback. (hmmm, isn't there a 300 message limit or something? :eek: )

I'll take a bump. smile.gif

Here's an update. I've collected enough material simply by copying forum comments to fill up a 28-page document. I've roughly sorted them according to Axis/Allies and by campaign. Now to edit, massage, and generally rewrite everything so it makes sense.

I got a generous response from Dan Fenton who has been collecting various forum strategies and tips. His document is also fairly lengthy, full of good stuff, but slightly different from what I was thinking about. Between the two of us, we should be able to put together something comprehensive and useful. But, this is going to take longer than I planned, probably a couple more weeks to get something decent arranged.

Looking back to the Gamer's Guide to Third Reich published many years ago, I note that it took about 2 years to compile that. And that was based on several years of experience and gameplay by the various contributing authors. So this is somewhat ambitious as a "spare-time" project. I will continue to plod along with this and hopefully have something to share with everyone in a couple of weeks. I'll open a new thread at that time to solicite feedback. (hmmm, isn't there a 300 message limit or something? :eek: )

I have never prepared a .pdf file but I agree this would be a good thing for someone else to do. We can work that out later next month, after a rough draft for comment and release of a final(?) draft.

Btw, this is something I'm used to doing for work. Putting something together for endless concurrence by others, to get signed by someone else, and ultimately appreciated by no one. ;)

I have never prepared a .pdf file but I agree this would be a good thing for someone else to do. We can work that out later next month, after a rough draft for comment and release of a final(?) draft.

Btw, this is something I'm used to doing for work. Putting something together for endless concurrence by others, to get signed by someone else, and ultimately appreciated by no one. ;)

Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

Does anyone here play CMBB? If not you should try it.

Interesing question, Gaylord, though I'm not sure what CMBB has to do with Hints for New Players in SC, unless you're recruiting fresh cannon fodder for the CMBB forum. ;) Why not start a new thread ?

Anyhow, to answer your question, I have CMBB and haven't touched it since I bought SC. :D About the only thing the two games have in common is the general subject matter, WWII. My brain tells me that CMBB is a great game, but for some reason, it doesn't work for me on a deeper level. I also have Beyond Overlord and never play that either.

Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

Does anyone here play CMBB? If not you should try it.

Interesing question, Gaylord, though I'm not sure what CMBB has to do with Hints for New Players in SC, unless you're recruiting fresh cannon fodder for the CMBB forum. ;) Why not start a new thread ?

Anyhow, to answer your question, I have CMBB and haven't touched it since I bought SC. :D About the only thing the two games have in common is the general subject matter, WWII. My brain tells me that CMBB is a great game, but for some reason, it doesn't work for me on a deeper level. I also have Beyond Overlord and never play that either.

As others have done, many thanks to Terif for sharing his knowledge of the game with us. I have to go back to the manual to examine the supply/MPP relationship, I see!

But I do have a question: I have seen in several posts (in this thread and elsewhere) about an Axis "quick defeat" of Norway. Another thread had a line about Norway doing "it's usual quick flop" or something like that.

I have yet to attack Norway (against AI) without having a major fight; the British navy comes over, British units land in Bergen...all kinds of problems. And Oslo hangs on like grim death.

Obviously I'm doing something way wrong. Terif (or it seems almost everyone in this forum can do this): HELP!

And PS: In my experience, the "Dutch gambit" is a winner for the Axis; I don't know how else the Axis can win unless Russia is set to "neutral"

As others have done, many thanks to Terif for sharing his knowledge of the game with us. I have to go back to the manual to examine the supply/MPP relationship, I see!

But I do have a question: I have seen in several posts (in this thread and elsewhere) about an Axis "quick defeat" of Norway. Another thread had a line about Norway doing "it's usual quick flop" or something like that.

I have yet to attack Norway (against AI) without having a major fight; the British navy comes over, British units land in Bergen...all kinds of problems. And Oslo hangs on like grim death.

Obviously I'm doing something way wrong. Terif (or it seems almost everyone in this forum can do this): HELP!

And PS: In my experience, the "Dutch gambit" is a winner for the Axis; I don't know how else the Axis can win unless Russia is set to "neutral"

Santabear:

On Dutch Gambit and Setting Russia, I'm not sure what you ment by this being a winner for Axis in AI games. But note that playing the AI and HvsH are to totally different games and complexity.

On the "Norway Flop". There are two ways of going about this. One way is to use a ton of air and two transported units, each unit lands on E&W side of the Capital the air wipes out the ground corp - and your unit on the east side marchs into history. The second way invloves 1-3 air and 4 transported units and works around the ability to capture the port with a ZOC after the unit on the city is destroyed.

The best way to learn this and any other 'trick' is to play some experenced players. Almost all are willing and interested in helping cannon fodder move up to spear catchers and beyond. Just hop on the forum and find a 'partner', but do try to understand the basics of the game and have read the user manuel, no need to memorize, just the basics.

[ March 19, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Iron Ranger ]

Santabear:

On Dutch Gambit and Setting Russia, I'm not sure what you ment by this being a winner for Axis in AI games. But note that playing the AI and HvsH are to totally different games and complexity.

On the "Norway Flop". There are two ways of going about this. One way is to use a ton of air and two transported units, each unit lands on E&W side of the Capital the air wipes out the ground corp - and your unit on the east side marchs into history. The second way invloves 1-3 air and 4 transported units and works around the ability to capture the port with a ZOC after the unit on the city is destroyed.

The best way to learn this and any other 'trick' is to play some experenced players. Almost all are willing and interested in helping cannon fodder move up to spear catchers and beyond. Just hop on the forum and find a 'partner', but do try to understand the basics of the game and have read the user manuel, no need to memorize, just the basics.

[ March 19, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Iron Ranger ]

Iron Ranger:

Thanks for the tip. Im working in Europe for an extended period, and have SC on my laptop, but'I have to use other computers to get online. I'm eagerly awaiting my return home to be able to get my rear end kicked a few times in two player games. The AI is fine, especially when SC is about all I have to keep me occupied, but it's obviously got a way to go to become General Staff material. This forum has really helped me understand the game, and has made it even more enjoyable. Thanks again.

Iron Ranger:

Thanks for the tip. Im working in Europe for an extended period, and have SC on my laptop, but'I have to use other computers to get online. I'm eagerly awaiting my return home to be able to get my rear end kicked a few times in two player games. The AI is fine, especially when SC is about all I have to keep me occupied, but it's obviously got a way to go to become General Staff material. This forum has really helped me understand the game, and has made it even more enjoyable. Thanks again.

Iron Ranger: