Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

No invading the US or Canada!

Jeff Heidman

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1b:

This Germany invading is idiocy at best.

Hitler lands troops in Continental US. Next US uses a combination of sheer industrial might combined with incredible financial strength coupled with national outrage, and obliterates German force in glut of sheer carnage.

Don't think it would happen, hmmmm you clearly haven't lived next to the US long enough then smile.gif

Germany invading isn't even worthy of the most lunatic what if's I have read in cheesy scifi.

I wonder if Stalin felt the same before Barbarossa. Never said it would have been succesful, only possible. If you throw in the idea that the Axis invades after dropping a few A-bombs, the Idea become a lot less Scifi but that has nothing to do with this post or game smile.gif

Not a question of Patriotism (well I will leave the flag waving to the actual yankees hehe smile.gif )

No I just detest "what ifs", that are merely "not bloody likelys" in disguise.

Sorry guys but I have read to much real history. I know how far it can be bent before a supposition only serves to make the person look like an unschooled doofus (or worthless as a game designer).

In order for Hitler to invade the continent of North America, he would need to amass the resources that would make the need to invade North America pointless.

ie. if he could do it at all, his European conditions would have already been met and he would have no reason to go.

Now if you want to play Red vs Blue and ponder, "can I invade Red in the first part of the game boldly when Blue is assuming it's impossible"...

But to take a game of historical proportions, and then postulate outrageous potentials that were never ever part of any of the participants thinking...

I for instance find forcing the Russians to maintain a Nuetral stance and letting the Germans place next to no forces to watch them annoying.

We all know how much the Germans and the Russians "loved" each other. Why does Russia have to remain noble till 1941 and honur treaties?

But some concessions have to be made to model the time period.

Heck why not start the war back a bit further, and allow the allies to just wipe out Hitler each time in 1935?

After all, why play fair?

As originally posted by Norse:

Yeah well, it did happen to the Spanish armada, so God might strike again :eek:

And let's not forget the snake-bitten, old testament, chariot stricken Egyptians. ;)

Actually, empiric-rational-logical-linear Science does NOT have ANY answers to metaphysical wonderings and yearnings.

They may have interesting observations -- as individuals, but not as practicing scientists.

When we are afflicted, or in dire straits, or deathly pale or accosted by riders on mighty pale horses -- who is that we beseech? The Scientist? Or the Priest, Minister, Shaman, Curandero, Guru, Rishi, Ancient Medicine Dispensers, etc?

They mostly say that such & such a "miracle" is either coincidence or invalid due to inadequate evidence, or they refuse to acknowledge so-called superstition at all, which is surely an indication that those particular "cult-ists," are rather... ignorant, yes? smile.gif

What is deigned inexplicable, whether assigned to the clock-work machinations of a posited "god" or no, is and remains exactly that, just as almost every theory I have ever heard (excluding a VERY FEW in the realm of physics and biology) is ALSO nothing but speculation -- pretty sound and negatively verifiable speculation, but speculation nonetheless.

But, these theories must be constantly updated according to ever-new evidence, yes? ;)

Does "god" interfere in the trivial doings of the human? :eek:

Maybe. Probably not an awful much, but there is no way anyone can prove to me that this is NOT true. Any more than I can prove otherwise, so we are tied up -- all even Mr Scorekeeper, and not me or other intutive/superstitious folks one "touch" down with the clock running out.

So, did God send tremendous thunder & lightning the trembling night of the Armada -- Spanish or Allied or Axis? Oh sure, could have...

(... sorry, just a few lazy Sunday sorts of thoughts...) smile.gif