Africa

mavraam

Forgive my ignorance since I've only played this game a few times but I can't figure out how Africa plays into the strategy. It seems as the Axis, I can't declare war on my neighbors and can't move my troops in. Am I missing something?

Err...the Italians can attack British Egypt and/or Vichy Nth Africa, and the Iraqi oilfields seem to attract a bit of attention from time to time smile.gif

You can transport German forces over as well to assist the Italians...the biggest quandry you have is with the 1 hex width....it seems best to try an end around amphibious invasion so you can attack the Brits on both sides, then continue east...

The short front does present problems but this models the Quattara Depression fairly well. I think that the first time I play the Axis my main stategy after the fall of France will be a Malta then Suez push. I find that to be one of the most tantalizing what-ifs of WW2. It all depends on what the probabilities of an aggressive Russia are and whether there will be time to complete it before Russia stirs. It wouldnt require a major committment of force so the risks should be acceptable whether Russia attacks or not. God this game is going to be fun. The key will be what the chances of Russia striking first are. It is a minor consideration. :eek:

Originally posted by Sol Invictus:

The short front does present problems but this models the Quattara Depression fairly well. I think that the first time I play the Axis my main stategy after the fall of France will be a Malta then Suez push. I find that to be one of the most tantalizing what-ifs of WW2. It all depends on what the probabilities of an aggressive Russia are and whether there will be time to complete it before Russia stirs.

I'm tempted to have the Germans go for GB, then attack USSR from the East and the Italians take the Med and try a southern attack on the USSR.

Lots of other possibilities.

Originally posted by husky65:

I'm tempted to have the Germans go for GB, then attack USSR from the East and the Italians take the Med and try a southern attack on the USSR.

Lots of other possibilities.

I was just doing that very thing last night (way past my bed time of course), when I hit that damn end of demo bug again! ;)

I managed to pull off the best SeaLion to date, with enormous loss of life for many "decoy" transport units... :D

Oh well... hope Hubert fixes that EOD bug soon! smile.gif

Aloid

I had the same problem. Just as England was about to fold the Russians joined the fray. I would have been crushed if the demo didn't end. Has anyone had any luck taking England and then being in a position to fortify the Eastern front?

With the reduced airpower in the Gold Demo mind you.

Edited for clarification.

[ July 26, 2002, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: gengisjon ]

I haven't had enough time in the demo to figure out the long term affects of Sealion and the Russians. If you throw all your eggs into the British campaign, you may get burned really quick. Perhaps there will be a need to fortify the Polish border a bit before launching Sealion. By doing this though, you will not have all the resourses you initially had for Sealion, which will make that battle more difficult. Of course, if you do fortify the Polish frontier, then the Russians may become aggressive before you wanted them to. The possible causes and effects in this game certainly make it interesting!.... :D

I plan on dealing with 'Perfidious Albion' by the indirect approach. A direct invasion of England is fraught with great risks and my Landsers dont like getting their feet wet. I will hopefully be able to start the invasion of France a month or two earlier than was historical and thus end it around May. This should give me a full year before I have to worry about Russia.

Taking Gibraltar first would make the Medditeranean an Italian lake, but without the cooperation of the Spanish, I doubt it would be possible. I will therefore go all out against Malta as soon as France falls. If I remain resolute, I am certain that vicrory will be mine. After the fall of Malta, all efforts will be directed aginst Suez.At some point, hopefully before but surely after the fall of Suez, the Spanish will look kindly on a possible alliance. This will seal Gibraltars fate and seriously cripple England.

If all goes well, and it always does in war, :D I will then be confronted in the first half of 1941 with being only at war with an impotent England and have at my side a very secure and confident Italy and a very grateful Spain. I will give Spain Gibraltar as soon as the war is over, I promise.

It is at this point that a decision will have to be made on whether to finish the English question or let them whither on the vine while I go after the Russians. I would prefer to finish off England but I doubt Russia will just sit around and watch me finish the conquest of the European landmass. Either way, I should be in a good position to go in either direction. Piece of cake. :D

I played two campaigns as the Axis tonight and Malta seems to be a viable option but it is expensive for the poor Italian navy. The damn demo always ends just as I'm about to capitalize on my conquest. Only around a werk more and I can realize the benefits of my machinations for European conquest.

There doesnt appear to be a compelling reason to capture Malta in this game but as an old 3R gamer I feel like it is my duty to at least attempt it once. I dont ever remeber capturing Malta in a game of 3R.