1943 Scenario (and maybe a challenge back to Rambo)

BriantheWise

In this game (and the same in COS and 3rd Reich), I have, up till now, always started at the beginning of the war. I like to start from the start.

Tonight, I tried playing Axis in the 1943 Scenario. I have 4 things to say about this scenario. 1st is that Hubert set this up very well and accurate and I did not like it (smile).

2nd is that even though I, as the Axis had the resource point advantage, I found myself getting crushed and I did not like it (smile). 3rd is that I found it to be much more of an enjoyable scenario than I expected and think it would be most fun to play allies at this point. 4th, to Rambo, do you, as a professional wargamer, think you could beat me in this scenario (since, hypothetically, the leaders of the Reich got their space and conquest, but forgot to buy Industrial or Air tech, and now, you don't have much money to spend on it)?

Based on what I have seen, having only played the scenario once, and part way at that, can you, Rambo, make the same claim as before: "I never lose as Germans."

This is not a taunt. But playing this scenario makes me realize that there is much more to this game than simply the '39 Scenario (afterall, were we all just jamming on the '40 Scenario when we had nothing but the demo (how quickly we forgot those days when we only had appetizers))?

And I haven't yet tried the 41, 42, or 44 scenarios. There is so much more to this game than meets the eye. My thoughts only.

Thanks,

Brian the Wise, who is not as wise as he thought, and thinks i should go by Brian duh Foolish, or something.

Brian --- Hey, buddy. I'll play any year, any side. But, I prefer Campaign games so I can do my own thing. If you want 2-games at once, no problem, I'll be the Allies. Send me your German move. You know what gets interesting? Playing about 5 games at once & trying to remember details: Where the heck are the British cariers? Which game had British naval units hanging out by "the Rock"?

You know what really sucks? When you make a "mouse error" by clicking too quick or slipping mouse, thus screwing up a kill or failing to grab a key objective.

jon_j_rambo >>>>>>>>>> OUT

[ November 23, 2002, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

rambo, that's why I like to play with "disable undo" disabled. YOu still can't undo when you discover a new enemy unit, so it doesn't allow too much cheating. Of yourse, you CAN move your ships around and undo until you have found those subs.

But playing this scenario makes me realize that there is much more to this game than simply the '39 Scenario
Some changes to the research rules to slow down most of the ahistorically rapid tech advances should result in a better game overall. Once that's done, it would be useful to review all those other scenarios and reconsider starting research points and tech levels to make them more consistent with what happened historically and what we could "normally" expect in a campaign game. Simple editting of the scenarios can do that. Each and every scenario should be as enjoyable as the 39 scenario.

go load up each of the scenarios and check out the tech levels for each country at that time

the first thing you will notice is that the numbers are extremely low compared to what a human player will research - almost everyone i know tries to max out their industrial tech - meanwhile check out britain in the 42 scenario - industrial tech ZERO