Overlord Help

Aztecace

I am still learning the strategies of the game. But my attempts at Overlord operations, IE Invading with the Americans and Brits have pretty much been disasters lately. They land and they get chewed up. I cannot seem to sustain a invasion. I have tried invasions of Norway, Spain, and France but with no success. So, what are the principals behind a good Overlord invasion. When, Where, and How! I would appricate any knowledge that you can share. Thanks!

"Novice but learning!"

ok, here some guidelines smile.gif :

- first make sure you have air superiority at the place where you want to invade, otherwise your transports will be killed, you cannot destroy the defenders to make space for your landing units and you have no chance to establish a beachhead.

- if Axis has some AFs in Norway: forget it and invade in France.

- Spain is usually not a good idea for your main invasion. You can start some small (surprising) operations to bind some axis forces and to cut off Africa to reduce supply and income for Axis, but since you can´t escape any more when it fails and Axis can easily bring in reinforcements it is better not to land in high numbers.

- in France you have the geographical advantage at Brest. Axis can only protect it with air if they bring it within reach of your UK AFs from England. IF they do it: kill the enemy AFs.

- during the invasion itself, your first and most important target is to conquer a supply source i.e. a city (with port as escape and reinforcement possibility).

- to conquer a city you need enough AFs and ships to kill the defenders and move an own unit inside. When you have a city, then you can land your main forces (including HQs). Never land your main forces when you are not sure to conquer a city within the next 1-2 turns, or they will most likely be killed in the beaches since they are out of supply and cannot be reinforced (even when a HQ lands with them, they can max. reinforce until str. 7 as long as they don´t have a city and this is not enough to prevent them from beeing destroyed).

Last but not least:

When you have your city and beachhead, land enough ground units to establish a solid line to prevent cut offs and to be able to protect your HQs in the second row.

Good guidelines - I have never sent enough force to maintain my invasions - if I play Curry or Friendly Fire I have usually managed to lose most of my fleet and playing Rannug I usually encounter 8 airfleets.

I have been reading the AAR's by the legends to try and improve my game.

Hey Derek, there is of course another big factor. In the 39 game if Allies make some key mistakes early, like losing a carrier or two, or simply playing too passively then Axis can afford air superiority and the invasion doesn't stand a chance. Suggest you ask for higher bids if you feel your opponent is a strong Axis player...

good luck!

[ August 06, 2004, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Friendly Fire ]