Time Frame...

TrionDelta

The Germans invaded Norway April 9th, Norway surrendered May 1st, and the allies evacuated June 8th, the Norwegian forces capitulating on June 10th. German attacks in earnest against France began about May 10th.

So, it looks like the historical sequence is going to be tough to achieve.

Norway never would have flipped to the Axis under Quisling - that man was hated by all of his countrymen other than the tiny little Nazi knock-off party he led. Nasjonal Samlung or some such thing - bunch of pathetic little toss-offs.

My question is why you would want to invade Norway early anyway. I myself plan to lay the wood to Sweden at the first opportunity to get that huge per-turn bump in MPPs. I'd say it's worth commitment of an HQ, airfleet, and some ground assets after Poland even if you are hitting the Frenchies at the same time.

In real life, as we all know, Hitler invaded Norway primarily to ensure year-round access to Swedish iron ore - shipped in the winter months from Narvik. Since this dynamic is not really modelled in SC, I myself think that Norway is as a result much less desirable of a target for aggression. They can wait, in my opinion, until the Axis has consolidated its position in the West.

As originally posted by Camicie Nere:

They can wait, in my opinion, until the Axis has consolidated its position in the West.

If you have to cross the waters anyway, why not take both of them while your at it? Saves on transport costs -- over & back, over & back, yes? smile.gif

You are drooling for Sweden, so take it -- you will need 4 or 5 units, maybe to include a HQ, and then you pause a turn -- repair, shine the boots, and then knock off Norway -- who could deny you?

Before Britain could stir and mount any challenge, you already have Bergen. ;)

(... BTW, perhaps you know, being closer to the action and all -- what in devil is wrong with my beloved Cleveland Indians? Does Mark Shapiro know hardball , or what?... ) :confused:

Norway is certainly conquerable prior to invading France. In my own first campaign against a human ('39)

I rolled Poland in about two turns and wheeled my fighters to the Baltic coast. From there they were able to assist in seizing Denmark (I put a newly purchased tank army in Hamburg for the advance) while I repaired and shifted the units that had taken Poland. The following turn I staged my aircraft into the northern tip of Denmark and declared war on Norway while several of the units that had invaded Poland loading into transports at Koenigsberg and landed on the shore near Helsinki. The Brits dispatched a portion of their fleet, and even got some troops ashore, but with Helsinki under my control Norway fell and I was able to operate a corps across to defend the other city. The Royal Navy persisted in destroying my cruisers, and allowed my air power to destroy several British vessels in the process.

Norway is worth taking (add up plunder and the MPP values for the cities, ports and mine, then think about a 3, 4 or 5 year long game...), otherwise you risk giving the Allies another avenue from which to attack, reduce the frontage they have to defend, and diminish your own income.

The French are simply too weak to come out of their entrenchments and threaten Germany effectively. If they do come out the French player is consigning them to death.

The aborted British attempt to save Norway, coupled with the British/French landings in Sicily and consequent naval battle in the Med. gave me the opportunity and momentum to launch Sealion once the French were dispatched.

I haven't given much consideration to an early German attack on Sweden because of the strength required, and the likelihood it would impel the Russians and Americans to war faster (they come fast enough if you launch Sealion!)

Gunslinger