New Campaign Ready for testing: The Guns of August (World War 1)

The Guns of August: 1914

macmillan_tuchman,jpg.jpg

When asked what would start the next great European war, Otto von Bismark replied: "Some Damned Little thing in the Balkans."

On June 28th, 1914, Arch Duke Ferdinad of Austria was killed in Serijevo by Serbian Nationalists.

Austro-Hungary announces it will crush the Serbians through military action. Russia announces it will come to the aide of it's Slavic cousins. Germany, announces it will stand beside Austro-Hungary in it's struggle with Russia. France, bound by Treaty, comes to the Aide of Russia. Upon the German violation of Belgian Neutrality, Britain Declares war on Germany.

The War to end all Wars has begun........

It was said that it couldnt be done, but i believe i have created the campaign that, with a little more work, will become the world war 1 scenario we've been waiting for.

I have tested it up to mid 1915 (Mid 1941) The Only thing that i wish couldve gone better is that the AI did not send the BEF to france, so, without the Brits at the battle of the Marne, the Germans surrounded Paris, so i stopped.

For a Human vs. Human game, it is ready just a few house rules i suggest:

</font>

• No purchase of tankgroups, airfleets or strat bombers until the year 1916 (1942)
    German units must destroy 'Maginot' on the first turn.</font>

More to come.

CvM

Alright, update:

So far I'd say the campaign is complete for Human vs. Human play. I have the German OOB in the west Fairly accurate. The German High seas fleet OOB is perfect. But I need OOB for the following:

Royal Navy

Russian Army opposing Austro-Hungarian Forces

Turkish Forces

Italian Units

British Middle Eastern Units.

and

French Naval Units

All at or around August 1914

Tests so far show that the Intitial phase of the war in the west works out well. The German player can and will acheive a massive flanking manuever (Schlieffen Plan) if the British do not commit the BEF on the first turn

It appears that this campaign will cover the war from August 1914 to late 1917 at which point Russia wouldve dropped out and America wouldve entered. I cannot alter the US's starting OOb and cant have a negotiated peace on the Eastern Front. So, when it gets to Nov. 1943 (1917) the players should stop. If this campaign goes will I will create a 'Kaiserschlact' campaign which will go from late 1917 to the end of the War.

As for some pre-set house rules:

</font>

• Russians cannot attack on the first 2 turns, however they can reinforce (mobilization)
    • The Serbian and Bulagrian Units may not leave their Designated Countries
      • No Country is to build: Tank Groups, Airfleets, strategic Bombers. Only Germans may build U Boats. (Considering not allowing purchasing of Rocket Groups, for now, lets say each country in allowed 1, for use as a 'rail gun' *Paris Gun, etc.*)</font>

Thats it for now, Ill try to have the first Human vs Human version ready in the next few Hours.

CvM

"Let the last man on the Right Brush the Channel with his Sleeve"

I now have the correct OOB for the Royal and French Navies

British MPP? 233 at the onset. Royal Italy is 'British' along with Egypt and Libya (But i gave the Libyian cities and ports to the French because they were short on MPP)

Germany, after taking Belgium, collects about 470 mpp per turn, but those MMp are for Germany, Austro-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire.

To compinsate for the German Plunder bonus of Belgium, I gave the allies Portugal at the start of the game, at the end of the first allied turn, Britain will plunder MPP from Portugal, making up the difference.

Brits pull in about 240 per turn

France collects about 125 Per turn

Russia pull in about 240 per turn also (Made many oil and mine hexes 'green American' so as to simulate the un developed reserves of Russia.

CvM

So far in my game with Comrade, which I'm enjoying very much, I've felt a bit cramped with the Russians. I'm wondering if their resources weren't cut back a little too far or perhaps in the starting OB it might be advisable to place an army in Warsaw instead of a corps, with partial corps (3 or 4 points) in Helsinki and one or two of the cities within striking distance of the European border.

The lack of a fast unit such as cavalry also presents problems.

I was wondering about a house rule:

No research allowed by either side: set the research levels at AT L=5 and HT L=0 and Industrial Research set at L=5 f for all the involved nations.

That would make purchasing new units a bit easier and would allow tanks to act as cavalry. With tanks L=0 and anti-tank guns L=5 their only advantage should be greater range, allowing for a bit more maneuvering. They'd be useless in breaking defensive lines, just as in the real war, but very useful in wide open spaces, such as the Eastern Front and the Middle East.

The scenario has got a World War One feel, especially in France. After the game with Comrade I'm planning to run it through again, hopefully switching sides with Mr Trapp if he doesn't ming another PBEM game.

[ April 25, 2003, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

I too created a SC campaign which in some small way mirrors WWI.

It's basiclly the Fall Gelb campaign with a few modifications. This time, the Russians are in the war and the only way Germany can win is to follow it's WWI strategy of smashing France and then turning all their forces to repel the Russians who will mobolize slower.

The campaign is child's play as the Allies, but it's extremely difficult as the Axis. It's not very accurate at all, but it's close to some extent.

TCPilot

Here's a link to the New Campaign Forum. It's the second one, the first one was started by CvM. The idea is to have a place where we can discuss our ideas in an organized manner and share different techniques.

Don't be so modest, I'm sure your WW I Campaign is better than you suppose.

Link to the Second New Campaign Thread -- Brad T. Originator

[ April 26, 2003, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Well, I've looked at the campaign you made Carl and it's pretty good but of course their's the problem that WWI just doesn't work well with SC. It's impossible to simulate the massive casualties and death of fighting for yards of ground with 50 mile hexs.

Plus I noticed that the Maginot Line is ungaurded by French units, allowing Germany to destroy it instantly. As I recall, the whole reason Germany went throguh Belgium was to bypass the defenses there.

Plus I noticed that the Maginot Line is ungaurded by French units, allowing Germany to destroy it instantly. As I recall, the whole reason Germany went throguh Belgium was to bypass the defenses there.
Nope, The Area the Maginot line is actual BELONGED TO GERMANY. But if i made the hexes Gray, then the Maginot line would stand AS GERMAN. So actually, the Germans DID go through Belgium, because the Schlieffen Plan called for a MASSIVE Flanking Maneuver.

As for the Massive causualties, if you play it WITH A HUMAN as it was designed, the casualties ARE depicted. Especially in the vicinity of Paris.

CvM

I don't know about that area owned by Germany. The territory around the soon-to-be Maginot Line did not change hands after the war and was always in French possession.

I'm also quite sure the Germans went through Belgium in WWI in order to avoid the many fortifications along the Franco-German in favor of the flat, undefended terrain in northern France. In turn, this would flank the French and allow the Germans to take Paris quickly.

It's a good campaign, no doubt about it, but a few things probable should be changed like, as I suggested, the French being put along the border.

I don't know about that area owned by Germany. The territory around the soon-to-be Maginot Line did not change hands after the war and was always in French possession.

Im sorry, Youre WRONG!

The Alslace Lorraine was given to the germans after the Franco-Prussian War

map4.gif

map1.jpg

see how the border is farthur back?

[ April 27, 2003, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Carl G. E. von Mannerheim ]

Good piece of research and an interesting topic.

On of the things most difficult to depict is the way the land seems to crest between the two countries and on the French side it descends as long ridges, almost as though they were steps. Because they were nearly always on slightly higher elevations the German trenches and fortifications invariably had numerous advantages over their British and French counterparts. Aside from enjoying better artillery sighting and the high ground defensive advantage, there was also a seasonal edge. In heavy rains the French and British trenches were nearly always flooded. It was often reported, especially in Flanders, that the mud, churned and loosened by frequent digging and incessant bombardment, produced patches of quicksand where men and horses were known to vanish. Farther east, at Verdun, both the French and Germans complained that bodies never seemed to remain buried.

When CvM first started on this I thought it was a comparatively simple subject. As it turns out the more research I'm doing on the First World War the more unexpected complications I keep finding.

[ April 27, 2003, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Originally posted by Carl G. E. von Mannerheim:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I don't know about that area owned by Germany. The territory around the soon-to-be Maginot Line did not change hands after the war and was always in French possession.

Im sorry, Youre WRONG!

The Alslace Lorraine was given to the germans after the Franco-Prussian War

map4.gif

map1.jpg

see how the border is farthur back? </font>

JerseyJohn

In my younger days I knew two gentlemen in what we'll call, odd professions, who never got angry.

That is the mark of a true professional. No emotion, its just a job.

Every see the guys who butcher pigs for a living? Heck, ever been in the area they work in? I was hundreds of feet away from that area and the blood smells made me give up the client... I was having to many regressions.