Kuniworth´s polish air gambit

Kuniworth

Long ago Hueristic moved the UK strategic bomber to copenhagen to bomb the axis fleet. It was great thinking that needs to be renewed.

My allied gambit suggests that you move the polish air to Copenhagen in Turn 1. The copenhagen corps stations outside the city. And the cost is only 40 MMP.

This will give you many advantages.

- German player must hit your polish air with an army on turn 1 to quickly reduce polish air strength. That will save time hopefully for polish units to entrench.

- Copenhagen corps can reinforce to 6 instead of 5. Possible makin axis have to use air to reduce corps strength which will help France a lot during the critical first turns.

- The polish air can hit the german fleet on turn 2. 1-2 hits are enough to regain the 40 MMP cost for the operational movement.

- the german ships must move north of Copenhagen to be able to hit the corps with both ships. This may bring the northern ship out of the range of the german airfleets.

Feel free to try it... smile.gif

"Why would Denmark be in the war on Turn one?" -- Night

An outlet for pent-up aggressions, or perhaps to escape the oppressive peace that always enslaved them and made life so drab and hum-drum.

[ July 25, 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Can it be?!? A good idea from Kuniworth? Yes, indeed! I believe that Kuniworth has a good idea worth exploring here.

I'm not sure that this move qualifies as a 'gambit' but it is a move that would certainly slow down the Axis assault on Denmark and could result in the German fleet losing rather than gaining.

Another option I've seen is to operate the Polish air fleet to France and use it to intercept attacks on Brussels. However, that is only really useful if it appears that Germany did not move enough units west to ensure the taking of Brussels.

Can it be?!? A good idea from Kuniworth? Yes, indeed! I believe that Kuniworth has a good idea worth exploring here.

I'm not sure that this move qualifies as a 'gambit' but it is a move that would certainly slow down the Axis assault on Denmark and could result in the German fleet losing rather than gaining. You could really make life interesting for the Axis by putting the French air fleet in Copenhagen and the Polish air fleet next to Copenhagen, giving the Allies 2 air fleets in Denmark. The French one could outlive the fall of Poland.

Another option I've seen is to operate the Polish air fleet to France and use it to intercept attacks on Brussels. However, that is only really useful if it appears that Germany did not move enough units west to ensure the taking of Brussels.

If it was something likely to create problems for experienced players then experienced players would already be doing it.

However, it is likely to baffle and perplex newer players playing Axis ... giving an advantage to the Allies and the potential for inflicting some damage on the Axis fleet.

Oak:

Yes, trying different things can be a lot of fun. Especially against newer players you can give it a try, they are not prepared for it and can be thrown out of concept. Its also good and fun for them, when they learn to counter non-standard moves.

I have my airfleets ready to kill the airfleet the next turn and then you can transport a corps immediately into copenhagen (one ship in Kiel port, then you can load and unload the same turn), so Denmark surrenders. Or I first take LC and then kill the airfleet the next turn...

If you use this would depend on if Wehrmacht strike polish air in Poland. If it don´t - feel free to move it to Copenhagen. 1 air may not be enough to kill it, 2 air is of course enough but that will make dutch gambit more difficult and save more french troops.

Oh and if Germany likes to put a transport in Kiel and perhaps use 12 MMP just to move it - go ahead. That would either mean that Polish forces survives a bit longer or that the ardennes or the belgian coast is left undefended after LC is captured.

Oh and you will of course be able to see if axis is start advancing into Denmark. In that case they are most certainly not affording an amphibious invasion from Kiel. If they are not advancing dont try this gambit.

[ July 26, 2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Kuniworth ]