SC: Inspiration for you Rookies and Newbies

Liam

Just to let you folks know something out there. I'm a complete lazy arse when it comes to SC. So I have never really bothered to read all those superflous manuals or study the many dozens of gambits that one can use. I just play it by air, I go in and kick arse! ;) I enjoy it that way, the old fashioned way. Not all this crap about "ohhh, you weren't calculated out." For a little bit of inspiration for you about Warfare

You can win this game even if you're half as powerful as your enemy. The basics, focused Warfare is what is called. Tactical Warfare<something SC includes so isn't a complete Strategy game>

You focus what you have, and take a risk at rolling the dice on a location and you hope to gain from it beyond what you lose. At best you hope to win a complete and utter Victory. The basis of any strategy to conduct an offensive victory.

I.E>

Last night I was playing my EU2, that's Europa Unversalis II, the RenWarfare game from 15th-19th century done by Paradox. I was Austria Facing France in the 1700s. When I began a War to free my Brothers in Lombardia<fellow Italians and Alps Provinces> At first I did have the numerical advantage and many Allies but ran a wild offensive and was completely and utterly wiped in half! I was also facing a Political nightmare with the possability of Ottoman Empire and Russia Joining the War see the vulnerability in the Central European Power. I however managed to skip out their involvement rebuild my forces and Rally forth with my Allies to crush the French in a Series of Conflicts. Most Cases, French have the Manpower but I used focused Combat, attacking from 3 locations<just like SC, 3 hex hits> and flanking operations, as well as misleading information by moving ships in and out of areas, troops as well... This completely confused the French and in the end they surrendered to me my Alpine Fort War Demans.. They could've very easily won. 1v1 Most definitely had the Manpower Advantage of twice as many troops...Regardless of such an advantage using the proper techniques of focusing your Power, luring your enemy, baiting and snagging him like a Fish. I would have likely prevailed. This isn't a game entirely of MPPs advantages. This is a game of expansion for the Axis. To some degree it can be the same for Russia depending on your house rules. What most of you rooks do is do not do enough. Fear guides your actions. When you play smoothly, as I was last night in my EU2 game, you feel the movement of your troops. It becomes like a gut reaction. Playing a piano. The fact is, just let it happen out there in the combat field. Get a feel for it. You need to look at your battlefield 3dimensionally, which is what I see is the biggest Downfall of all the players I face on here. Why I win 'any' games at all

oh, and BTW: EU2 is about half as complicated as HOI and I have never read a single manual about the game although at this point I am giving a tough game for top10 players

SC, I have never read a manual or strategy guide for the game and I'm arguably a top5 player ;)

My biggest fault in both cases in versatility, that and common sense make a great Strategist and Wargamer

I'm a friggin genius myself smile.gif , but I have only played a handful of actual games against people.

No replacement for experience though.

The more I play the more I see, the more I see the better I get at this particular game.

I too don't always read the manual for a while.

I sometimes think the game can only be so slide ruled before the fun factor is forgotten.

Remember, its not the destination that counts, but did you enjoy the trip.

I have enjoyed all of the journey thus far, even while getting pounded.

I have never read a manual or strategy guide
Kids, don't give in to the Dark Side. tongue.gif

Sometimes actually reading the SC user manual, updates and errata file, version changes file, and strategy guide can be very helpful. Unless you really enjoy making the same mistakes we all did to learn the game as we went along. ;)

Dragon you have to get in with the devoted Groups on the Paradox boards. V.Net is worthless

same for HOI<I am going to wait on that venture>

You also have to learn quite a bit. It took me about a year learning curb on and off to get good. Now I've managed to avoid Bankruptcies/ inflation/and Nation Colapsing. My funnest SP endeavor was probably Tunisia, Iroqious<really really hard with Exotic Tech> or Tibet. I managed in all situations to create sizable Empires but it gets boring SP fast

EU2 was quite enjoying also in SP as i tried to play almost every nation. My highlights were an very early Worldconquest with spain and a huge Songhai empire...but i also played many other nations.

Beside the fact that V-net sucked the odd thing is that when playing EU2 it worked for me and when playing HOI i cant enter the chat rooms.

EU2 was my greatest attiction ever, ending me to be perfect in economic affairs and lever managment. I was perfectionist in mircomangement :D

I played the game until it was dead for me, later i did the same with HOI...and now i do the same with SC. ;)

Dragon, I am looking forward to finally getting good enough to play the programmer.<should be there in another 6months or a year> I hear he is evil! tongue.gif we have special tsunami game on the weekends or use to that Johann played in.

He has Victoria comming out soon and I hear it's good. Better than both HOI and EUs