I need advice!

murks

Hello fellow gamers!

I started playing SC on the beginners level. After a few tries I managed to win as the axis quite easily. Now I changed settings to intermediate, +1 as many here have recommended, playing as the supposedly easier allied side. My problem is: I don't know how to do any damage to axis forces! When they come to France after POland they have at least two experience. They atack the Maginot from the river and knock about 4 off me while loosing 0 or 1 themselves. Any attack from my side would end in desaster. His three air fleets knocked out a full strength entrenched army without any ground support in one turn. I invested 2 in industrial tech and otherwise spent my money on replacing all damaged french units to the max immediately. I did not have enough points to buy a french HQ, unfortunately, having invested in research.

While the germans gain even more experience with every turn, my losses are so high that after replacement my troops are back at zero experience. Damn, I wanted to attack his air fleet on it's airstrip off the coast with my battleship. Predicted result: Battleship looses 4, air fleet 1.

To make it short. I took a completely defensive stand in France, holding up the Italians with the Canadians and replaced any losses taken. Result was: France falls in May 1940. I am really puzzled. Is there anything you can do to hold the german onslaught up a bit? Is any investment in the french defence wasted? How will I ever kill any of those super-experienced german units? How will my troops ever get any experience? What am I missing here? Or is the course of events described above what you all get?

Thanks for any useful hints, more on tactics than on strategy. I

At +1 France will most certainly fall (as it should). I've held on a for a good long while, and I'm sure some here have held completely.

Anyway, the point is, just hold on, and think big picture. Delay the Axis as much as you can, and hope that Russia comes in and holds the Axis until the US joins the party. Invest in industrial tech, and keep grinding away at them.

France is just too weak, in general to hold out...

Aloid

Originally posted by Aloid:

At +1 France will most certainly fall (as it should). [snip]

Aloid

Just curious how you came to this conclusion. Historically, France had a formidable army. Their loss in 1940 was due as much to poor leadership as any inherent weakness in their strategic position. Does anyone else care to comment on this?

I dont know if this will help you.

I play at Expert, +1

I have accepted that France will fall so I only use them to the best of their Isolated ability.

Invest in Frances defence with french mpps and hope to delay the German AI.

When things start to colapse send french air unit to England and if you build a French HQ, boat him accross as well.

During this time with the Brits I invest my first 250 in industry research and when mpps are available I build HQ then Tank then Army.

When each unit is available I ship it to Egypt, including the Canadian Army. Then operational move Free French Air unit to Egypt. During the transport use all allied medeterenian ships to screen their movement incase Italy joins the War.

Once this contingent has reached Egypt amass them on the Iraqy border and DOW. When you have conquered Iraq you will be getting the mpps to build and research to your hearts delite. Just dont waist too much british money in Frances defence otherwise you will be delayed and Italy will go to war and the opportunity for safe passage through the Med will be lost. At this point unless German Tech goes way ahead. Victory should be yours.

Just make sure you play a smart defensive game in Russia.

Gen.Metaxas

Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Aloid:

At +1 France will most certainly fall (as it should). [snip]

Aloid

Just curious how you came to this conclusion. Historically, France had a formidable army. Their loss in 1940 was due as much to poor leadership as any inherent weakness in their strategic position. Does anyone else care to comment on this?</font>

Originally posted by Aloid:

Over all the German's combined arms attack and leadership advantage is too strong for the French to over come, both in the game and real life.

Enjoy!

Aloid (now version 1.3 capable!!) :eek:

In this game anyway. ;) I've played other strategic wargames where the French stopped the German invasion in its tracks (albeit with heavy French/British losses).

posted by MT:

In this game anyway. I've played other strategic wargames where the French stopped the German invasion in its tracks (albeit with heavy French/British losses).

I would say that those other games aren't giving you a terribly realistic view of what was possible at the time, then. France's problems (and Britain's problems in France during the German invasion) started in the 1920's and 1930's. The problem was this: organization. The French (and British) decided early on that the tank would be purely an infanrty support weapon. They dispersed them evenly through the ranks of their armies. The Germans, on the other hand, developed formations in which everything (infantry, artillery, command, supply) could match the breakneck pace set by the tanks. The French could have put in better leaders in a timely fashion, but to develop the "Dragonne" concept fully enough to fight the panzer divisions on an even footing, they would have had to start restructuring their army in a time-frame that is well beyond the scope of this game.

Originally posted by Canuck_para:

For the French just buy ground units, although an HQ might be good if you have time. Chances are France will fall before you can use your investment. Just slow the Germans up.

You can do much more than delay the Germans on Expert +1. In my last game the Germans did nothing more than take a stroll into the Ardennes to have the crap beaten out of them.

First, disband the French air fleet. It has zero chance against those buff German fighters. In a couple months you'll be able to buy a headquarters.

Run the French Atlantic fleet into the med and centre it around Malta (keep its supply level somewhat respectable). Sail all British naval elements to Malta as well.

Transport the Egyptian and Gibralter garrisons to within striking range of Italy. Operate the Syrian garrison to Egypt and transport it also. Transport the North African garrison to southern France and run the Southern France garrison to the mine behind the Maginot.

Operate the British air to southern France. Fly the Britsh home air to southern France. Operate the British bomber to Malta.

Britain should first build the BEF and then Montgomery.

Take out those atlantic subs. Park something in the straights between Norway and Denmark. The rest of the fleet should be used as cannon fodder for the German air force.

As soon as you can be assured of a victory in Belgium, invade and hold it. You need to deny that booty to Germany, collect the cash for England, and it also creates a nice pocket for German Armies and Armour.

Make sure that you always have a transported corps on Sicily's shore and on the inside of the ankle of the boot. If you land there, you can move into the un-garrisoned Taranto in one turn.

Here's how it plays:

1. Britain/France take Belgium

2. Italy declares war.

3. England captures Sicily and Taranto.

4. French warships act as cannon fodder while the British fleet finishes off the Italian navy

5. Bolstered by the HQ, French units fend off the diminished German assault (you should expect to see a German armour and HQ sent to southern Italy)

6. The British HQ and BEF should help in the northern defence and move south as that situation stabilises.

7. The Canadian corps and French Algerian corps hold of the Italians (and German Army) in the mountains.

8. Push the Its out of the mountains and come crashing down on Rome from the North

9. Ware the Huns down and then carry the fight to him.

Special notes:

1. Preserve your air power. Don't engage the German air force. Use them against the Italians. Be careful with air units when they are not supported by an HQ.

2. Sail your Atlantic carriers to the Med. You'll capture Rome in no time.

3. Develop Ind. Tech for Britain, then Jet Power (you'll have to fight the Germans at some point)

4. Don't allow the Germans to attack any position with three land units. The only exception is the northernmost position in the maginot. With an HQ, it should hold. Don't let it fall!!! It is the lynch pin of your defense.

Give it a try. I beat Germany in 42 and the US didn't even enter the war.

BTW, when all was said and done. The First Canadian army was sitting in Berlin making great big hockey rinks, distributing poutine, teaching everyone the wonderful power of 'eh', and finally bringing "Peace, order and good government" to Central Europe. :D

[ August 17, 2002, 08:15 AM: Message edited by: IM_Hobbes ]

I demobilize the French fleet and use it's MPP's as well as the French Air Force to build a ground HQ and armies ASAP. I use the Brit fleet and air units (along with one Canadian corps) to take and occupy Ireland (the MPP gain really adds up as the war grinds on.) I move the French unit in Algiers to S. France to hold of the Italians, and move the French unit in Syria to Malta, freeing the British air fleet there to be used in England. With any luck, the French hold out until Russia enters the war.