Isn't this just...

Vampyre

Although Strategic Command is obviously influenced by Clash of Steel to a certain extent, it is by no means "simply a copy". The combat system for example is actually more similar to that of Panzer General. Did you actually try the demo?

[ May 22, 2002, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Ancient One ]

Yes... Yes I did, everything felt/looked the same.

Having the same unit types, map, resources, political system, rule options, reports etc.. then yes, I'd say it's close to being the same.

Hey, thats just my opinion if you like it, great. I just wish it were a lot less similar to a game I played 9 years ago.

I really do wish it wasn't the same :(

John

A different one,

Storm Across Europe

High Command

Clash Of Steel

Third Reich

All same type with same aims but all different.

I'm not trying to put the game down, I'm just surprised and disappointed of how similar, it is to COS :(

John

Originally posted by Vampyre:

A different one,

Storm Across Europe

High Command

Clash Of Steel

Third Reich

All same type with same aims but all different.

I'm not trying to put the game down, I'm just surprised and disappointed of how similar, it is to COS :(

John

If it is similar so what?????!!! They were great games.Better being similar to those than some other loser games.

I enjoyed those games and im enjoying this

Well, I can tell you one huge difference that alone would mean me buying it. Improved AI over COS. COS AI was horrible, and never gave me a good game. Another nice thing about this one is unlike COS, you aren't forced to buy only the historic units. You want to waste a ton of money on Carriers as the Germans? Have at it, unlike COS where you could only field this many panzers, this many subs, this many carriers, ect, ect.

Jesus guys, what the heck did you expect out of a WW2 European theater game? If it were that different then it wouldn't be a WW2 strategy game. A game like this still needs tanks and infantry and Europe and all the other things that one might associate with WW2 in Europe.

This is like opening up a new game of Axis and Allies and complaining that you expected a different map than the Earth, and different armies than Germany, Japan, Russia, the US and the UK.

If you want different warfare go play a different warfare game, something like Warcraft. If you want a really different game go play Rollercoaster Tycoon. (by the way, don't be surprised about that last one, it has roller coasters in it)

By the way, nice to see you here Affentitten.

[ May 23, 2002, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: Otto ]

Originally posted by Otto:

This is like opening up a new game of Axis and Allies and complaining that you expected a different map than the Earth, and different armies than Germany, Japan, Russia, the US and the UK.

Did you try RISK 2110 A.D. already???

:D

Look at it this way, Vampyre:

Even strategy Games don't have a shelf life of more than three years. Some of the games you mentioned are so old that many of the gamers who will buy SC were still in primary school, or maybe even nursery school smile.gif when they came out, and thus never played them.

Storm Across Europe - 1989 - A total pile of crap, ugly, virtually unplayable interface and worthless AI.

High Command - 1991 - Poor interface, ugly graphics and crap AI.

Clash of Steel - 1993 - Good except for poor AI.

Third Reich - 1995 - it's only a straight port of the board game, which limits its potential, very complicated to learn, and the AI is OK for beginners but no match for the grognards who play this game.

And they are all DOS games. Many gamers now have no experience of non-Windows games at all.

Since COS is nine years old, copying some of its better features is no crime or great drawback.

[ May 23, 2002, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: vonManstein39 ]

Yeah, For newcomers, it will be great.. for me, and I do still play the games you mentioned... I simply wish it were more different.

All the games in the list have the same objective but play differently.

I'm not putting the game down for new folks, just that in 'my opinion' it's too similar. Which is a shame cos' I love these games.

BTW: Storm across Europe was mint.. ugly yes, even then. High command was the dog in that lot.

As one of you said, I'll see how the AI is, maybe that will make it for me....

Cheers...

Yeah, For newcomers, it will be great.. for me, and I do still play the games you mentioned... I simply wish it were more different.

I agree with you. My complaints about SC have nothing to do with it being "not fun", but rather that there is little improvement over its predecessors or competitors. If you're going to make a new strategic-level WWII game, at least add something new to the idea than what's already been done. Hehe...even the boat sounds in SC sound like an exact ripoff of the .wav files used in TOAW.

Did you try RISK 2110 A.D. already???

Yeah, we have a few boardgame nights here at work... Played it a few months back... It certainly looks nice (nice counters and board etc). Best bit is going to the moon, though anyone who does immediately gets scatter bombed by the other players smile.gif

Not a bad sequel....

I played few games of COS Future edition, which have some bug fixes and better AI. As mentioned, the game has very annoying features as limited unit production.

Strategic Command is much more easier to play. This is something what i have been waiting for many years. Well, I havent tried of course the whole version, but wargaming havent be so fun since first Panzer General. Combat Mission, SPwaw and others are very good games, but in different way.

More I play demo, more I like it and I havent tried to play it H2H yet.

The trick how to get COS future edition to work is little bit weird. I assume, that you have the package from underdogs site.

After unpacking there is only future.exe, which you cannot run in Windows.

In Dos it seems to run only with dos sound drivers installed. Otherwise it crashes after displaying text no soundhardware detected.

Basically future.exe only renames some files and most importantly cos2.dat to cos2.exe and runs them.

So you only have to rename cos2.dat to cos2.exe.

Well, after that if you run cos2.exe from windows you get runtime error 200.

This is usually caused by turbo pascal bug and can be tricked by using Moslo or

some else program which slowers computer speed. Turbo pascal fix program doesnt work with this file.

The best program that I know is called Turbo for Windows 95 and Windows NT. I dont remember where i did get it and.

So You have to set cpu speed less than 50% of course depending on how fast computer you have.

After that try running cos2. It doesnt always seems to work(runtime error 200), but keep trying and eventually game will start with no sound. Without lowering cpu speed you will try it forever.

Then alt-tab to put turbo off and play.

With sound i havent be able to make Cos work.

I think that game must be started with future.exe and in my computer the system completely hangs after intro screen.

It might be easier to buy old 486 pc with ISA-sounblaster and real dos.

Why?, 'different' does not equal better.

They have updated the graphics, done a few things differently and made the AI a lot better, that all = 'better'.

Well, not sure about COS Future Edition, but to get the 'old' edition to work on XP, all I did was apply the TPPatch (to get rid of Runtime 200 error) and used VDMSound (to solve sound card requirements)...as I recall, VDMSound also configures memory for you as well, so you don't need to set up the icon, specify amounts of memory to use, etc.