Fastets Allied Victory?

CPROFITT

I have just started playing the Allies after playing once as the Germans and winning by taking the US in 1945.

How fast has someone won using the Allies. I am thinking with the way this game plays I should be able to finish the Germans off in early '41.

Noobs?

Gee, thanks while I am new to this game it is likely that I am much more experienced than you are at WWII games... it is MY favorite area and I started gaming in 1976. I have played Third Reich, World In Flames, World War II, Clash of Steel, Another game whose name evades me at this point, and this game (Only including the grand scale games for WWII).

I finished the game and conquered Germany June 8th, 1941.

Yes, this was against AI. Yes, this was on base settings. It was however my second game with this sim. Piss on that all you want. I do appreciate the information. If you would like to ask me how I did it then feel free - it is an option I always used in Third Reich.

You took my comment all wrong, when i call you a n00b it is not in a derogatory (sic?) remark. You have been playing wargames twice as long as my life span, but understand where i am coming from, lately, there have been many 'n00bs' that have been filling the forum with their 100% self-Aggrandizement posts that are frankly pissing me off. I respect you as a gamer, as you seem to be very experienced.

Hope this clears things up a bit

CVM

I am sorry, I took to comment the wrong way. It was just that I found the game a challenge playing the Germans (I won, but it took forever... especially the conquest of the USA). At several times I felt the game was VERY close to slipping against me - different "die" rolls and I would have been on the defensive.

TO win as the Germans I invaded the UK immediately following the fall of France. The game moves ships when they are damaged and the ship in London's port was damaged... when it moved out I was able to capture the port and London. They moved the capitol to Manchester and that took a while longer to grab. I was infact attacked by the Soviets (they VERY quickly went from 35% to preparing to attack) before I defeated the Brits. With England gone the USSR proved to still be VERY very tough. The lack of limits on what each country can buy allowed the Soviet army to intially own the skies which caused all sorts of problems until I had a break through that allowed several armored units to exploit and attack the air units on the ground. The invasion of Canada was too easy, but the attack on the US took a long, long time.

While playing as the Axis I noticed SEVERAL problems for the Axis if the Allies play aggressive and not completely historical. I actually attacked Italy the turn prior to its joining the Axis and took Rome in one turn. That allowed me to empty the Med of fleets, and attack Germany on its underbelly. The Germans never even managed to take the lowlands. I think the problem that is there is historical and the Allies just wouldn't do what I did. I will next try to play somewhat more historical as I would like to see the Soviets and USA get involved before a victory.

Yes, setting up an invasion of Italy before they enter is gamey. I would only do it against the computer, and with +1 or +2 Axis advantage. Maybe there should be a detection scheme set up so if 1 or more transports are in a hex near Italy's mainland (Before they enter the war), it'll make them join the Axis next turn.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by CPROFITT:

Hank, Gamey?

Yes, and maybe no.

had intelligence leaked to the Allies that the Italian were going to enter they may have attacked. The problem is that the game as no method of having garrisons.

What intelligence? The Italians weren't planning on joining the war unless France was near defeat. The German victory in late May took the Italians by surprise as much as anyone else. By that time, it was far too late for the Allies to do anything about it, much less invade Italy.

Gamey? Look there's absolutely nothing wrong with using different tactics. After all why play the historically correct war? Is it not the purpose to have a game that simulates WW2 to be able to re-play the war YOUR way.

Let's review some historical facts kids...

As early as 1937 it was quite evident the Italy was aligned to Germany and several Italian leaders actually told their British counter parts that war with Germany AND Italy was unavoidable.

Italy was trying to conquer Albania, Ethiopia and establish itself in Libya during this time.

So WHY NOT launch a pre-emptive strike on Italy? This is not GAMEY this is Strategic and logical thinking (of course we have hindsight but it would have been possible and it WAS an actual military option at that time).

PLEASE read your history books... geez

Originally posted by dgaad:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CPROFITT:

Hank, Gamey?

Yes, and maybe no.

had intelligence leaked to the Allies that the Italian were going to enter they may have attacked. The problem is that the game as no method of having garrisons.

What intelligence? The Italians weren't planning on joining the war unless France was near defeat. The German victory in late May took the Italians by surprise as much as anyone else. By that time, it was far too late for the Allies to do anything about it, much less invade Italy.</font>

In reality there was no way the Allies could land in Italy. They didn't have the right equipement, all troops available were shiped off to France, and there just wasn't time to plan an invasion. And even when they had the equipement, they wouldn't have been able to land their troops next to Rome, wipe out the Rome defenders and conquer the city in one week. The Italians would notice Allied troops preparing to invade, and have their fleet ready to stop them. In my opinion, landing in Italy that way is gammy, so is destroying their fleet at the spawn points.

I used the Norse plan and invaded Italy with France, and thus defeated Germany in June 42. The Soviets were as far as the low countries, the US about 60% and I allowed a French unit to occupy Berlin to end it. The map looks pretty cool all blue.!!!

John