Optional Variants

Desert Dave

Originally posted by John DiFool:

...But I still would like to see some variants

added, if for no other reason than spice. Perhaps

some extra tech here and there, or the Yugos don't

have a pro-allied coup, or the Russians had no

purge hence have better leaders to start with.

Just as long as they aren't too imbalancing of

course. ;)

Likely way too radical for the first version, but this idea really has some merit! It could very well solve a lot of those special requests or fine-line items that we all have asked for.

This could be optional (a check-off box) for those who don't care for sudden surprises. And some events would be random and confined to when they most likely would have occurred, and others would be possible for the entire game.

For instance, pre-game variants might be: Z-Plan (an extra U-boat and the Bismark at the start, but less ground forces), or France gets a tank group at the beginning.

Later, you might have winter-effects during Dec to Feb, or a bonus # of MPPs for Britain (extra material from India/S Africa). Or, the appearance of an Anzac corps in Egypt, etc.

Diplomatic events such as -- a turn for the better or worse in Iraq (this would compliment Hubert's idea of representing percentages of involvement by Minors) or Ireland, or there could be a one-time partisan uprising in Egypt. Think of it -- there are hundreds of other possibilities! :eek: or, :D

This would force us to be flexible and allow for fate/chance.

I don't know how difficult this would be to program, but it would provide a lot of excitement and almost limitless replayability! smile.gif

We can probably use the current editor to adjust setups and provide for some variation. Reduce the starting forces for each side by a unit or two and add their MPPs to the setup. Can we do this - give countries at-start MPPs in addition to unit setups? Since you start "at-war", you'll need to start with some forces deployed, but perhaps you could start with substantial MPPs and build whatever you want. You would then have some flexibility to customize your strategy, but it would take at least the first turn or two to build and deploy the different units, so you lose some time. However, it would be very interesting with FOW to see what the AI does with some additional flexibility. :cool:

For later, I would also like to see some advanced game features offering variants and optional details.

Bill, you are right that many situations can be set up with the editor, but nothing would be more disheartening than to receive a message like this, right when you are on the verge of taking Stalingrad:

Hitler interferes with OKW's Osten plans: HQ-Manstein and all his units cannot move or attack this turn! (... and it is his full-strength units that surround Stalingrad!) :eek:

Now, I can appreciate the rationale that might suggest -- there would be cheating in the PBEM.

However, the great majority of games will be played solo anyway, and each person could deal with it as they wish (or, even leave the box unchecked).

I am thinking more of those unexpected, and as John DiFool reminds -- non-intrusive or unbalancing, events that would cause the player to suddenly! adjust to some strange new occurence, say like the appearance of an Anzac corps in Egypt, or Iraq tilting toward the Axis.

This needn't be too elaborate, just some occasional SURPRISES! now and then. ;)

I suspect the full SC campaign game will contain sufficient surprises for now. Adding more partisans shouldn't be too difficult, and could probably be an option for all partisan activity and not just by country (Yugoslavia and Russia, etc.) Maybe have no partisans, mild partisans, or aggressive partisans as options? As for units not being able to move, this could be added as a random chance. Russo-German War has this as a FOW option, where sometimes when you select a unit it can't move, so this is a possibility.

I can see the tourney now, each side getting a set amount of MPP and few units, the initial purchase would be a huge part of the strategy.

There is going to be a boatload of scenarios, variants and such available shortly after SC comes out. This is going to go a long way towards keeping the game fresh.

Wonderful! So tweaking the setups to provide MPPs to build units you want will work and should provide sufficient variation. Has this been done during any of the playtesting? Just curious what the AI does with an open checkbook, whether it tends toward a historical balance or does weird things. I'd probably opt for about 70-80% historical setup anyway, to keep games fairly normal. This will be fun! :cool: