Several related battles or Operation?

Nidan1

I am in the beginning stages of research in creating a series of CMAK battles (semi-historical) encompassing British and Canadian operations around Caen in late June and July of '44. Specifically those actions against units of the 9th and 10th SS Panzer Divisions, and to some extent the Hitler Jungend.

I am envisioning a series of battles, up to 50 turns each (some shorter) that would recreate the ebb and flow actions up to the breakout. They would flow in a kind of chronological order. I know a lot of these battles have been done in CMBO and to some extent I have already seen a few in CMAK, but I am looking to make them a related series that players could experience with an overall campaign feel.

Mechanically, would this be better done as seperate battles or small operations? I am always leery of how set up zones are established in operations, and I think it would be easier to make individual, related battles.

Is there something I am missing?, how do you guys feel about this? Any suggestions? I finally have the time available to devote to this, and I am anxious to get going.

Interesting, as Emar just recently published his Blut und Ehre 2 which is a truly overwhelming CMAK operation about the counter-attack.

Of course, nothing is stopping you from making several related operations, even if they are only two battles long or so. That is always an option, too. Or mixed series with battles and operations.

But if you have good battle accounts and maps to work from, and want it to describe the actual flow of the battle, then make a series of battles (this is particularly awesome if you can write good briefings that describe the battle as the series continues). If you want to give the players more chances to try other approaches then make an operation, because then everything is up to the players themselves.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Interesting, as Emar just recently published his Blut und Ehre 2 which is a truly overwhelming CMAK operation about the counter-attack.

Sergei, do you mean overwhelming in the sense that it is an exciting, fun play, or that it is large and bogs down slower machines? I have not seen that one yet, thanks for the reply.

I had in mind to provide continuing briefings that would give the player a feeling of connection with the previous battle. That is the easy part though, I would be able to compile decent briefings, its the maps and the mechanics that worry me, I want them to be playable.

HSG has done what we call a mini-campaign for the 3rd Armored Division. They are a series of battles that can be played chronologically or individually. The main situation briefing stays the same only the battle briefing changes for each scenario.

You can see these at the Scenario Depot. The reviews on the individual scenarios have been good. I have no idea how the series is viewed though since each scenario stands on it's own merit.

HSG has toyed with the idea of doing mini-campaigns that encompass both battles and operations as well. I think that is an option that would be well recieved.

If you are interested in the HSG 3AD series, you can go to the Scenario Depot, click on Combat Mission Afrika Korps battles, select the index and chose the letter H. All of the HSG scenarios with a 3AD prefix are for the 3rd Armored Division mini-campaign series.

Good luck with your idea.

Good Hunting.

Originally posted by Panther Commander:

HSG has done what we call a mini-campaign for the 3rd Armored Division. They are a series of battles that can be played chronologically or individually. The main situation briefing stays the same only the battle briefing changes for each scenario.

You can see these at the Scenario Depot. The reviews on the individual scenarios have been good. I have no idea how the series is viewed though since each scenario stands on it's own merit.

HSG has toyed with the idea of doing mini-campaigns that encompass both battles and operations as well. I think that is an option that would be well recieved.

If you are interested in the HSG 3AD series, you can go to the Scenario Depot, click on Combat Mission Afrika Korps battles, select the index and chose the letter H. All of the HSG scenarios with a 3AD prefix are for the 3rd Armored Division mini-campaign series.

Good luck with your idea.

Good Hunting.

I have played a couple of them on-line already. They were excellent in two-player mode, very action packed, in fact that concept developed by HSG is one of the things pushing me to finally do this project.

I have completed the first battle of the series, and now I am thinking that a combination of individual battles and smaller operations is the way to go.

If anyone would like to try out the battle please email me and I will send it to you. Please put CMAK in your subject line. Feedback would be appreciated.

It is best played head to head or PBEM. I didnt design it with the AI in mind. I tried it as Germans against an attacking AI, and the British were chewed up unmercifully.

Originally posted by Nidan1:

I have completed the first battle of the series, and now I am thinking that a combination of individual battles and smaller operations is the way to go.

If anyone would like to try out the battle please email me and I will send it to you. Please put CMAK in your subject line. Feedback would be appreciated.

It is best played head to head or PBEM. I didnt design it with the AI in mind. I tried it as Germans against an attacking AI, and the British were chewed up unmercifully.

You need to send these to The Proving Grounds.

http://the-proving-grounds.com/index.html

Playtesting scenarios is what they do. Well, ANYTHING to do with playtesting scenarios is what they do. Well, if you have a CM scenario it's what they do!

The Proving Grounds offers playtesting, opponents, reviews for playtested scenarios, design tips, internet links, research material and all in a friendly atmosphere. Just the right place for budding scenario designers. Historical research is high on the list of support issues at the site as well.

Send it on over and let them tell you how your scenario stacks up.

Originally posted by Nidan1:

I have played a couple of them on-line already. They were excellent in two-player mode, very action packed, in fact that concept developed by HSG is one of the things pushing me to finally do this project.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad that you liked them.

They are not related in any sense other than once we are finished you can fight the 3rd Armored Divisions major engagements in order if you like. Since they are not related they can also be fought as stand alone scenarios.

If you post your scenario to The Proving Grounds I'll take a look at it. Along with a couple dozen other guys... :D