screws up my desktop

Garvey123

Hmm, I thought Hubert had promised to solve that problem for the retail version ... I really hope so as most people now work with resolutions higher than 1024*768 as default settings. And it is a real drag to clean up the desktop after every game.

Straha

Unfortunatly this will still happen on some systems where Windows does not properly save desktop settings during switches. There is utility available that automatically restores your desktop settings with a single click:

Save Layout

It can be used to save your current setup and then restore once you exit any application that causes your desktop settings to change.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

I am sorry but that is just crap redface.gif

I have a new computer with Windows XP that I use only for gaming and have no problem with a wide variety of commerical products.

If you are going to sell a game that screws up my desktop and the only solution you can offer is some third party software, then the problem is YOU!

You need to fix the game. Either have an option to set the resolution, or restore the original resolution when you exit the program. It is not that big a deal, lot's of other games do it!!!!!

Dont worry Hubert, people get frustrated at such exciting times; they just can't wait!

Everyone who has been here for a while recognises your skill, talent and determination and especially the efforts and kindness you show to any questions that come up, however hostile they are. Your ability to keep your cool impresses me massively! smile.gif

We have a real good, friendly online community here, easily the best ive experienced and with an excellent game to match it, so heres hoping it continues!

Many thanks Hubert, Battlefront and to everyone else who contributes to this forum and the game.

Cheers, Tom.

Originally posted by Garvey123:

I am sorry but that is just crap redface.gif

I have a new computer with Windows XP that I use only for gaming and have no problem with a wide variety of commerical products.

If you are going to sell a game that screws up my desktop and the only solution you can offer is some third party software, then the problem is YOU!

You need to fix the game. Either have an option to set the resolution, or restore the original resolution when you exit the program. It is not that big a deal, lot's of other games do it!!!!!

Garvey,

I understand your frustration, but I would like to offer you a little perspective. This is Hubert's first wargame.

I am sure he would like to fix the problems more than you would like them to be fixed. So, just cut him a little slack and I'm confident he'll take care of it.

I posted this in another thread but there *appears* to be a suitable workaround for the ICON resorting issue.

For those of you you with XP that want to try this workaround it is very simple to perform.

Right click on the Strategic Command Demo icon on your desktop. Select "Properties", A window will open with three tabs along the top. Select the tab called COMPATABILITY. Put a check mark in the box labled "Run this program in compatability mode for". In the drop down list, select Windows 98/ Windows ME.

Leave the three boxes at the bottom unchecked. Click OK to exit and save the chnages. Now run the demo and see what it does when it exits.

YMMV but for me it no longer moves the icons around once the game is exited.

Madmatt

[ July 20, 2002, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Actually Garvey why are you mad at Hubert and not writing Microsoft also? I have Windows 2000 and experience zero problems, could it be that I have features or capabilities that Xp does not? I bet I do. So why not write big powerful Microsoft to fix there problem instead of Hubert?

BTW before you think this is some shot at MicroSoft I actually prefer Windows 2000 over any other OS. I am full MS certified and given my professional opinion XP is crap. Tons of people are having problems with it on games and software produced by huge companies, to put this on Hubert is wrong, who you want can be reached at www.microsoft.com

Have a nice day!

Originally posted by Straha:

Madmatt: does that W98 compatibility mode workaround for XP mean that the problem also does not arise with W98 SE? (Because it did with the old demo at least.)

Straha

I do not yet know, I only have a XP system to test on.

Madmatt

I have had no problems in this regards running the game on my windows 98. smile.gif

Btw I like the Demo and the way the game seems to handle the battle for the atlantic - It seems that subs can now work the atlantic and have fair chance to dive from surface combat and that surface ships don´t get reduced to strength 1-3 when having a surprise contact with subs.

Originally posted by dragoon19:

I have had no problems in this regards running the game on my windows 98. smile.gif

Btw I like the Demo and the way the game seems to handle the battle for the atlantic - It seems that subs can now work the atlantic and have fair chance to dive from surface combat and that surface ships don´t get reduced to strength 1-3 when having a surprise contact with subs.

And the economic damage has been upped it seems too. I had a new high with a 10 point sub last night when it managed to get 14 MPPs to the bottom of the ocean. The naval changes so far are all to the better.

I did not mean to flame Hubert, I don't even know him smile.gif

Just got the demo and was rather upset that in this day and age a game would disturb my desktop. Say what you will about Windows XP, but games are extremely stable (compared to the bad old DOS 3.1 days where you had to change the autoexec and config everytime you got a new game).

Frankly it is the developers fault and the game should not have gone gold with such a glaring fault!

That is just what the market is today, why pay for a game that disrupts my system, no matter how good it is redface.gif

I did not mean to flame Hubert, I don't even know him smile.gif

Just got the demo and was rather upset that in this day and age a game would disturb my desktop. Say what you will about Windows XP, but games are ).

Frankly it is the developers fault and the game should not have gone gold with such a glaring fault!

That is just what the market is today, why pay for a game that disrupts my system, no matter how good it is redface.gif

Mr Garvey,It is your right to complain and express yourself as a potential buyer.But if it makes you that upset you dont have to buy it or even play the demo anymore.You still have that choice.

Instead of acting like a cold fish i would think you could have a tiny bit of empathy,as Superted said this is Huberts first game and i think it is first class,and bear in mind it is only $25.00.And if that is your only gripe, well i dont think he has done to bad.Most other games out there you need to pay alot more than that!!!!! Sure you dont have your desk top issue but alot of other games do have issues.

So $25.00 and with the support VIA Patches i think things are rosey.

combat mission was world class and nobody can deny that and it did abit of growing after launch as well,so give it time my friend at least you have all your Arms and legs,so know need to react in such a manner over such a thing.

[ July 20, 2002, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Titan ]

Hmm Garvey if XP is so wonderful (cannot believe that anyone would have to stoop to DOS OS to try to prove that point) then why do I have zero issues with Win2k and Win98? Hmm maybe because XP is flawed? Like I said I do this for a living, go find a copy of Win2k and watch your troubles go away.

Originally posted by Priest:

Hmm Garvey if XP is so wonderful (cannot believe that anyone would have to stoop to DOS OS to try to prove that point) then why do I have zero issues with Win2k and Win98? Hmm maybe because XP is flawed? Like I said I do this for a living, go find a copy of Win2k and watch your troubles go away.

*Bonk!*

If you really were a Windows expert, then you would have a better solution to the current problem than: "Uninstall the operating system, since it has some flaw, am I right? Does WindowsXP have a flaw? Im an expert in Windows"

lol :D

Please realize , the response I wanted to hear was 'yes we know this is a problem, please be patient we will have a patch for it soon'.

What I did not want to hear was to go get some third party software to fix it.

Is that so bad??? tongue.gif

Hmm Garvey if XP is so wonderful (cannot believe that anyone would have to stoop to DOS OS to try to prove that point) then why do I have zero issues with Win2k and Win98? Hmm maybe because XP is flawed?

When I used Win 95/98 over the years I reinstalled the OS about 50 times.

Since I installed XP I've not needed to reinstall and in that time I replaced my Motherboard, CPU and RAM and only had to reset the HAL to make it work.

XP is so superior to a Win 98/2K dual boot that it is amazing - XP isn't perfect, no OS is but 98 is really bad and dual booting a system adds unneccesary complication.

Please realize , the response I wanted to hear was 'yes we know this is a problem, please be patient we will have a patch for it soon'.

What I did not want to hear was to go get some third party software to fix it.

Is that so bad??? tongue.gif

Whats bad is the Aggressive and selfish manner that you made your Demands!!!!!

I would say you should do a anger managment course before you Start playing SC again :D;)

Actually I sent Hubert some ideas on a refresh rate issue earlier during the beta demo.

Second, I have had Win 98 second edition running on a PC totally stable now for, well since I bought it which was at least 4 years ago. No crashes, no re-installs, I cannot help if your PC is not setup right or not using the correct software.

Next why is anyone comparing a Win2k machine to a dual boot machine? I have a straight Win2k machine with SP 2 and have never had a crash since I installed it which was exactly one week before it was released to the public (Got mine free at a Microsoft convention).

Lastly if Win98 Users and Win2k users are not having issues then it is not all Huberts issue then. Obviously WinXP is doing something different which may be a bug, and unless you contact microsoft then you do not know who to ask for a patch.

And for anyone who wants to know I have a building full of IT professionals that will not touch Windows XP with a ten foot pole. Most would rather use a Mac! Now that is bad!

PS: For those of you using off the shelf PCs well they are not direct XP/2000/98 installs, they all have been tinkered with in some way by their manufacturer, yet another source that may affect your results, I build my own and do not need to worry about this. And if you re-installed straight from a windows CD then you had best check you drivers supplied to you by the company that sales your computer. Not all is black and white.

And for anyone who wants to know I have a building full of IT professionals that will not touch Windows XP with a ten foot pole. Most would rather use a Mac! Now that is bad!

I'll say, imagine having a building full of idiots on staff and having to pay them!

I would sack them and get some professionals who have a clue.