Limiting Units in Strategic Command

sogard

Hubert

I think it would be excellent to allow Major neutrals some limited freedom of action. They could bulk up on men or tech. Allow them to start with a preset 1939 force which they can manipulate from there.

Has the issue of having nation specific unit costs been discussed? Allowing the USSR to have cheap ground troops, US having relatively cheap everything, UK ships, Germany subs etc. This could eliminate Ind Tech. Of course I do like the idea of building up your industrial capability. Both systems could work together, but I am sure this would require testing to ensure it does not unbalance the game.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As originally posted by arby:

That was my original idea, too, but I'm not so sure any more.

Once co-conspirators, and now... a hesitation, an entropy, a falling away... smile.gif

Confounding variables! :eek:

(... your parable reminds me very much of a Zen story, wherein the Buddha is asked about an arrow that has pierced the skin of a fallen boddhisatva -- he replies: Do you need to know the archer's name? Do you require from what bird the feathers are plucked, or how the tree was cut to acquire the wood? No, no, gentle warrior, it is imperative to FIRST remove the arrow, lest you bleed to death while all the wondering... )

Good points. My rationale for Industrial Tech can be succinctly stated: this is a HEAVY, and highly Applied investment -- in money and resources, so no matter how it is perceived, it nevertheless should require more TIME to realize the utilitarian results.

How it ultimately effects game-play is another matter -- I was concerned to place Industry in a separate category from "theoretical research," in that it is the foundation of all else.

When I first got the game, I marveled that Industrial Tech would not only cost the same as the others, but that it could be so easily gained.

Sidebar: In my game against Bill, we had a house-limit of 3 chits per area, and 8 max. No matter, even with that restriction, I was able (as Germans) to achieve L5 Industrial Tech by end of '41. This was THE decisiive factor in the game.

And so, you (and Bill) are calling attention to the shortcomings inherent in this co-conspired (... probably there are others in the cabal as well that I have omitted, merci ... )NO RETURN , which, likely, is not the perfect solution.

I shall be flexible enough to re-consider as well, BUT, I am convinced that the road to salvation lies in this very area... I shall think about it some more and try to add something unique to the discussion... smile.gif

sogard, my dear lawyer friend. YOU are the one charging that wittmann is a war criminal why dont YOU prove YOUR accusations right by coming up with some evidence, like emailing the wiesenthal center, or getting it from somewhere else that is legitamate. or are you scared that you wont find anything? post any replies from wiesenthal and if you find any implication that wittmann was involved in war crimes then i will change my tag line and apologize to the forum and you. if not i would expect the same thing from you. then this subject will be CLOSED.

ANYWAYS, on the subject of air power and limiting units, just an idea, not a suggestion, i was pondering what affect no stacking has on having too many air units. it seems to me that not so much in russia, but on the west front, crowding can become an issue. if your ground force could be stacked to 2 on one hex, then maybe people would place less emphasis on air fleets since they could create holes easier with ground units and then fan out behind them like the real life mobile warfare that was employed in WWII. just a thought... smile.gif

[ September 27, 2002, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: BlueMax 1939 ]