What is "The Polish Breakthrough"?

Col. Kurtz

I have a newbie question concerning the expression "Polish Breakthrough", which I have seen in a number of After Action Reports. Does this refer to a specific sequence of moves, a group of specific Polish units destroyed or just a generally successful first turn attack into Poland?

Yep, it's the standard opening used by 80% of the players. It maximizes the German units for the attack on Poland & the units which need operanded to the West for turn# 2 DOW on LC.

Play somebody, you'll see it.

The "Breakthru" part cuts of Polish corp in the South from protecting Warsaw, thus assuring the Germans will take the capital on turn# 2.

Im a badassssss, i got Poland Breakthru, LC gambit, Norway gambit, Rome invasion, MED ship mayhem, Spanish gambit, Ireland training, France blitz, Scandinavian blitz, Barbarrossa 1st turn mayhem, Sweden gambit, Portugal gambit, Denmark defense, Iraq takeover, so those noobs that beat the AI would find themselves, when playing some veterans, saying: oh man, game over man, game over!

Condor Hudson.

As far as I understand it, it is simply destroying the southern polish army with 2 german armies and the tank.

The third southern german army on the river hex moves up to Warsaw cutting of the polish corps.

From the north moves in another german army to cut off Warsaw totally. Move in the HQ though that it is supporting now the battlegroup of 4 armies and the tank and you will nearly always take Warsaw on the 2nd. turn.

the concept here is simple 3 Mainline German Units hit Warsaw turn 2 and usually with some luck manage to take it then. If not it is usually hopeful it'll be over by turn 3 latest! It's ideal to leave a fighter behind and risk an LC Lite then to have Poland continue to pester and sapp you for up to 5 turns!