Comments on the AI. Odds and Ends.

zappsweden

The AI in strategic command (1.03) is excellent on the tactical and operational levels. It is on the grand strategy level though that the AI sometimes has bad priorities and is acting a bit stereotype.

Examples:

1) On the operational level the AI (Russia) should avoid their air fleets to be attacked by "breaking through tanks".

2) On the grand strategy level the Russian AI should be more careful to defend the southern part of Russian. Russia has much more resources to defend to the south than in the baltic states for instance.

3) On the grand strategy level, USA AI didn't do any offensive attempts after i conquered Britain. This was an obvious flaw that left Russia alone.

4) There is too little variation from game to game i.e in northern africa there is little interest and little action. The UK/US AI could invade Italy if it was more aggressive in the mediterranean as allied.

5) When i played as Allies (against axis AI) I managed to hold France for a long time by sacrificing most of the UK navy and air fleets to delay the German offensive. This tactic was a mistake because the axis could easily have invaded me after France fell since i had almost no military units intact. Instead the axis often just seem to mass troops for Barbarossa regardless on the allied actions. A severely weakend UK SHOULD invite the axis to attack. This makes the game harder as allied since high UK losses makes France fall later but makes Britain extremely vulnerable fo axis invasions.

[ September 04, 2002, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

I'm in the middle of performing the final testing on the latest patch, last one prior to TCP/IP, and it does have a slight improvement with overall AI prioritzing and planning. Good news is that I've made some notes and have a few ideas to add in even more variety to the AI, but this will have to wait until after the TCP/IP patch.

My goal is to make it the ultimate foe, especially at the harder levels! :)

I agree that the AI is weak in a strategic sense.

a. It always concentrates its Western front invasion on France, even if France is heavily defended and the low countries and northwestern Germany are left unguarded. And if I withdraw my infantry from the Nordic countries late in the game it ignores these countries and their MPPs.

b. If I blockade the Atlantic with subs the US does not build Aircraft or Navy units to attack the blockading units. It just keeps producing land units.

c. Futhermore, if the Northern Atlantic is blockaded the AI for the US does not attempt to launch an invasion of Sicily/Italy or North Africa, and never considers an invasion of Southern/Vichy France.

d. In any revision of the game I would also suggest that the allies have the option to move one unit into the mediterrean from the Suez canal per turn (after say a 4-6 turn transit time from the UK).

This would mean that the Italian Naval units can't just blockade the straits of Gibralter. They now have an incentive to take Egypt or face an allied attack from a different front.

It would also give the allies a unit or two with which to liberate an ungarded Albania, Greece, or Yugoslavie. Thus reflecting the need of the Axis to guard its conquests against allied liberation.

Anybody seen the 'retreatorooskie' that the AI

sometimes performs? You will be having a hard

time bludgeoning your way through his units, then,

all of a sudden, several of them will quickly

skedaddle backwards, with nothing replacing them,

and thus make your job MUCH easier.

Case in point: if you take the Low Countries on

the first turn, all those French armies will

retreat towards Paris, and inevitably there is a

gap between Paris and the Maginot Line units

which I can exploit. If he kept them entrenched

on the Belgian border I would have a MUCH harder

time of it.

It also is constantly on the attack-it has helped

me take cities when it has the garrison unit

attack one of my neighboring besiegers, thus

weakening itself. It really needs to 'learn'

when to attack and when to sit and maintain its

strength.

John DiFool

Originally posted by John DiFool:

Case in point: if you take the Low Countries on

the first turn, all those French armies will

retreat towards Paris, and inevitably there is a

gap between Paris and the Maginot Line units

which I can exploit. If he kept them entrenched

on the Belgian border I would have a MUCH harder

time of it.

John DiFool

AI already do this, he kept the forces on belgian border and take east Belgium if i dont occupied this hex. I play the demo.