hehe. Demo goals.

SixthArmy

Great demo. Leaves you wanting more and pulling out the credit card. Everytime things start to get interesting......"The demo has ended" D'OH !!

I've played about 10 games. I've made several goals for myself, if the game doesn't come today (I should have it w/in 2 days of ordering right? No overnight option available and the email gives no indication of when to expect receipt. :rolleyes: I assume priority mail takes about 2 days. Hope I'm right, anyway: ) I want another idea for what I can accomplish.

Several times I've been w/in 1 turn of capturing all the minor nations including Spain, Portugal, the Balkans. I always end up w/ 1 capital in the balkans still up and Portugal. Its irritating being w/in 1 turn so many times. Anyone pulled it off?

Another time my goal was to land troops in England. I never thought I had enough time to capture, I just wanted to see how many units I could land and in what state of order they would be in as the demo ended. The first attempt was a real disaster. The second time I waited one turn longer and sacrificed my german navy. Fighters, ships and subs caused very much damage to the English navy. It was glorious! After that I did manage to get quite a few units on the island and in good order.

Another time I invaded France, then oped all my troopers across map to invade Russia. There was a one turn delay as I brought my units back up to strength. Frankly, I didn't get far in. I captured the southern port but no other Russian city was ever in serious danger.

Has anyone made significant advances before May 10, 41 ?

I've been playing on all easy settings because I'm still unsure of all the rules.

that is all

*Sixth out*

[ October 11, 2002, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: SixthArmy ]

I'm in the same boat and waiting for my copy to arrive soon. I feel like a little kid just before Christmas, when I come home from work to see if my copy has finally arrived. So far no sugar plum fairies.

As for significant gains, well before the Demo has ended I've done a few cool things. One game I just conquered France as fast as possible as to build a fleet with the plunder. I continued to plunder Yugo and Greece to keep up the fleet funding. I upped my gun laying research by 1 and got a breakthrough early. The fleet I built was for destroying the mighty UK navy, which I finally did before the demo ended. It took a combination of air and navy to do this.

Of course you can do this in a real game where Russia will be a threat, however, know that the game was going to end with Russia still a 'sleeping bear' I didn't care. Build a navy for Germany makes no real sense, as the ground/air units are a must to deal with threats on the continent.

Another game I conquered France, balklans(non-friends), Spain, and Portugal before the end of 1940 :cool: .

When I get my full version I will proceed TO CONQUER THE WORLD, hehe. :eek: Yeah, everybody loves to play Germany/Italy and do the what if's.

In my games the minor powers never turn to the darkside. I think once I start making the little guys offers they can't refuse it makes the other minors nervous. If just one of those nations would turn I'm sure I could reach my goal by opping a few more bodies to france.

that is all

*Sixth out*

Once you get the real version, you'll...

Learn the computer's quirks. In 10 games, you should be able to win on normal settings as either axis or allies. And when you can do that, you are ready for the REAL game - PBEM/TCP-IP opponents.

All the beautiful tricks you did against the computer somehow... fail. Or things you do not expect your opponent do backfire amazingly, giving you opportunities to try things you hadn't even thought of.

Human opposition is where the beauty of this game truly lies. Once you have a good idea how the game works, play hot-seat with a friend, or PBEM with all default features, plus fog of war (you really should play a few campaigns to conclusion with FOW so you understand how it changes the game before committing the time to play an human).

Despite the claims that "the game is unbalanced", it is a good match for 90% of the people if the allied player is conservative and patient.

Originally posted by daringly:

Learn the computer's quirks. In 10 games, you should be able to win on normal settings as either axis or allies. And when you can do that, you are ready for the REAL game - PBEM/TCP-IP opponents.

All the beautiful tricks you did against the computer somehow... fail. Or things you do not expect your opponent do backfire amazingly, giving you opportunities to try things you hadn't even thought of.

Human opposition is where the beauty of this game truly lies. Once you have a good idea how the game works, play hot-seat with a friend, or PBEM with all default features, plus fog of war (you really should play a few campaigns to conclusion with FOW so you understand how it changes the game before committing the time to play an human).

Despite the claims that "the game is unbalanced", it is a good match for 90% of the people if the allied player is conservative and patient.

I'm new to SC. Got my full version of the game last week. I just wanted to say in my opinion that I think Daringly is "right on" with his comments. I've just been playing the AI until I get my feet wet. But for the Allies the conservative play seems to be in order vs a Human. I dont think I could take as many chances in a human vs human game that I do in the AI game. tongue.gif

Originally posted by daringly:

10 games?! I played one full game! smile.gif Now i'm playing a ton of PBEM... so far i've only completed one, and I am O-1 :(

But I am getting better all the time!