Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Z-league AAR report: Zappsweden (Axis) versus Terif (Allies)

zappsweden

May 1944:

Axis moves in Russia fast south, destroying Stavropol and two mines. Russia looses 7-9 corps per turn now... But surprisingly Moskov holds and german armies are retreating without beeing attacked. They try to go north, east of Moskov, but are stopped by a corps line behind the last river. Romania recaptured by Axis.

In the west Denmark is liberated. US forces move in the east around the fortress surrounded by mountains in the heart of Germany. Unexpected they meet some german Hqs. Allied air had no time to rebase, allied ground units are moving too fast through Germany now, hunting the last german corps.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

June 1944:

Berlin has fallen. Axis are rushing through empty kaukasus. It will be taken in 3-4 turns. Italy lands in eastern Egypt heading towards Iraq. In northern Russia, Germany has not yet crossed the northern River. Axis units start operating west to face the Allied invasion. If Allied offensive does not stop in the West soon, the war will be over. Germany needs to establish Air, HQ's and armies to be able to hold. The huge Allied MPP advantage means that Germany must take Iraq, Kaukasus and the Urals VERY soon. The Urals will hold the longest since Russia have more than 15 units up there, so that may be the key to Allied victory.

[ May 30, 2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

July 1944:

Axis forces move south towards Iraq. Russians destroy all oilfields and cities on this way. The italian corps landed in Egypt without supply will die soon against the fully supplied UK and russian corps, supported by a UK Hq. Moskov is still holding out. Only 3 Axis airfleets there. General Zukov is under air attack, but with full entrenchment in a city he does not take any damage (against airfleet with 4 medals experience). When entrenchment is reduced, he has to move into the mountains...

In the west, Munich falls to UK forces. The tank entrenched there has been destroyed after he was cut off. The first heavy airbattles since the landing take place. Axis has probably 5 airfleets in the Balkan. Some german armies have been spotted in the south. Lets see how US forces perform against the veteran 4 medal armies from the russian front smile.gif . Fortunately Axis has only 10 of them, as far as intelligence reported.

July 30, 1944:

The veteran armies kill 2 corps near Munich. Time to reinforce all US forces, before going into the last battle. Some french corps are protecting the valuable US armies while they reinforce. First Germany has to kill some french soldiers before they come to the US forces ;) . Allies are now at the border to Italy. If they can cut off Italy from the rest off the world, german supply will go down to 5 without a major capital. Only two hexes are necessary to achieve this now... Therefore heavy battles are fought now at this narrow place for each hex. One german airfleet killed in the airbattles. 4 remaining in the west, 3 in the east.

Sweden has been liberated by russian forces. Norway is next.

[ May 30, 2003, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]

August 13, 1944:

German veteran armies destroy and damage some french corps, but dont come through to US forces. Allies attack the italian corps in Italy to cut it off. One of the important hexes conquered.

Carriers attack fortress Prague to force german airfleets to intercept. In the huge airfights that followed - with direct attacks - 2 german airfleets got killed. 3 carriers, 5 UK and 1 US airfleet are standing now against the 2 remaining german airfleets in the west. Moskov still alive. Axis landing forces in Egypt destroyed.

August 1944:

Axis capitulate. I could not defeat Russia quickly enough and his air superiority was too much. This game was very exciting. Italian Gambit, battles in Libya (Air, navy, landings, everything!), Barbarossa with UK air supporting Russia, Baltic navy Battles, Axis taking the Kaukasus and Allies taking France and almost whole Germany.

[ May 30, 2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Yes, it was a very exciting and close game. A lot of action everywhere on the map smile.gif .

Some statistics:

Allies lost 170 land, 4 air (polish and swedish airfleets included) and 13 naval units.

Axis lost 55 land, 6 air and 7 naval units.

[ May 30, 2003, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Thanks guys. Made for good reading(instead of work...I'll be working late tonight now).

How about a report on where and how many chits you guys had in research.

Is it better to give up the capitol in France & save one unit, but force MPP's to France instead of the U.S. and England?

What should you buy with France MPP's? Corps for guard duty?

Keep these AAR's coming, helps break up the tedium of work.

Originally posted by KDG:

Thanks guys. Made for good reading(instead of work...I'll be working late tonight now).

How about a report on where and how many chits you guys had in research.

Is it better to give up the capitol in France & save one unit, but force MPP's to France instead of the U.S. and England?

What should you buy with France MPP's? Corps for guard duty?

Keep these AAR's coming, helps break up the tedium of work.

Ok the research part:

I was at a maximum of 10 chits and was on 0 chits at the end (needed the cash).

When i reached 10 chits I was at

3 Anti-Tank chits

3 Jet chits

3 Long-Range chits

1 Industrial Chit

I had bad research results in the pre-Russia phase. Industrial was at L1 which was ok, Long-range was at L2 which is average. Anti-tank and Jet was still at L1 which is bad when having 3 chits for a long time.

When he reached L2 Jets I sold my industrial chit and put it on Jets (now 4 chits). Later on (when I was starting selling of chits), I had L3 Anti-Tank, L3 Jets and L3 Long-range. In Russian wars, I would have gained much if that L3 Long-range had come earlier. In fact, as soon as it did I wiped out Timoshenko (on the Southern front) and the southern russian front was weak ever since. He could not put any HQ's there anymore. I easily smashed his units down south after L3 Long-Range kicked in.

Overall, I did not have luck in any area of research. Industrial L1 was the only "better than average" thing I got. Long-Range L3, Jet L3 and Anti-Tank L3 were behind schedule most of the time.

With earlier advances in Jets and Long-Range (L2 came on schedule but I had to wait 15-20 turns going from L2 to L3) I would have defeated Russia and probably won the game. In June 1942 I was on Long-Range L2 (3 chits) and not until August 1943 I got Long-Range L3. NOT extraordinary bad luck, just plain bad luck.

[ May 30, 2003, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Terif and Zappsweden

Great AAR, enjoyed it all the way through. A lot of real tension as to whether Germany was going to finish off the USSR before being finished off herself. A classic death struggle.

Zappsweden

Thanks for the detailed analysis of your research allotments in the game, very helpful to experienced players and I'm sure instructive to the newer guys.