The Italians

waynef

I'd be interested to hear some thoughts on how you budding Mussolini's would handle Italy's involvement. Im interested in playing from the Italian side and I'd like to hear some thoughts on Strategy.

;)

Thanks

Well, since Italy is just part of the Axis, not a side unto herself, the question really is how to utilize Italian assets in the Axis effort. That's too bad, the Italy/Germany dynamic early in the war was interesting. In SC, the Germans won't have to worry about unauthorized Italian invasions of Greece.

The holy grail for the Italians in other wargames I've played has always been Gibraltar, as this more or less invasion proofs Italy. I don't know if Gibraltar will be so important in SC. Staying away from the French fleet has always been an Italian strategy, as the French are doomed and any naval losses incurred are pointless.

It will be interestig to see if the Italians can get in a position to pose a threat to Russia.

I guess the big question is can Italy contribute enough to make up for the fact that she is such an inviting target for Allied invasion?

Here are a few of the problems with Italy that I found to be (mostly) true in other games like A3R.

1) Always short of spending cash, and having to ask boorish Uncle Heinz for extra. But, AFAIK there is no lending of MPPsin SC, so that won't be an issue (in multi-player games, the dynamic between the German and Italian player was interesting to behold, as it started wonderfully, and then, as it was in actual history, tending to rapidly degenerate :confused: )

2) Inferior navy -- in quality (negative DRMs with 3R/A3R) though not in quantity. Well, we don't yet know if their individual ships will be down-graded (less hit #s or defensive rating; or, higher cost per unit). If they aren't, then I would expect Italy might very well be a legitimate contender in the Med. :cool:

3) Ability to transport units/supply across the Med. Not only for themselves, but for Afrika Korps and Rommel. If that Air Fleet at Malta (I am presuming that Egyptian, or even Eastern Libyian interceptors are out of range) can be neutralized, perhaps with German help (will they spare another Air Fleet?), then there is a reason for dreams of reaching oil in Iraq. :D

All in all, very interesting game-strategies are possible. Sure, it's a tempting target for the USA-emboldened Allies, but I would rather defend that narrow boot, than southern France or an untimely strike into Yugoslavia.

I fondly remeber a 3R game involving the invasion of Gibraltar. After interception and counter interception, just enough of the IT fleet got in to run a 1:2 attack against the place. I rolled a '4', Exchange. The only thing left was a lone 2-5 armor unit that exploited into Gibraltar. Fleets, airplanes, paras, armour, infatry, destroyed.

We calculated that well over 300 BRPs over both sides were expended. Neither side had the strength left for war for 4 turns.

The Med became an Italian lake.