OT - PC Gamer Raves About CM Again

Just got the March issue of PC Gamer with their Game of the Year awards. The winner of the Best Turn-Based Strategy Game was (drum roll please).... Combat Mission (YES!) with Campaign 1776 and Steel Panthers: WAW in the runners-up positions. By the way, for those that also wish to know, the Game of the year was Deus Ex. Best Simulation was Steel Beasts with B-17 Flying Fortress II and Enemy Engaged: RAH-66 Comanche vs. KA-52 Hokum in the runners-up. Congrats to BTS. This should mean even more orders coming your way.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

If B-17 made their list, perhaps it is not such an honour for CM to be listed? Did Squad Leader break the top 10?

Whats wrong with B-17?.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. February 1945.

Guest KwazyDog

In its current form John it is basically buggy. Some people have it running better than others, but on my system which is high end you are lucky to be able to get to the target zone and back again without a crash to desktop.

There is a patch coming out tomorrow though, so Im keeping my fingers crossed smile.gif

Dan

This new issue reviews B-17 and gave it an 82% which is not great but is pretty good. They are in different categories so that just means Steel Beasts might have to worry if you think B-17 wasn't any good. As for Squad Leader, That one would never have come even close. They gave that a mighty 12%.

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

In its current form John it is basically buggy. Some people have it running better than others, but on my system which is high end you are lucky to be able to get to the target zone and back again without a crash to desktop.

There is a patch coming out tomorrow though, so Im keeping my fingers crossed smile.gif

Dan

Thx for the heads up Dan, my wife just bought me an new PC, an 1 gighrz, & she bought me B-17 as well. But I cant even look at B-17 till my Bro finishes putting the new machine together.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

Guest KwazyDog

No worries John smile.gif

Your system should play it well, and when it runs it is a lot of fun. It can be frustrating at the same time though, and I know there are people out there that would say that is a huge understatement smile.gif.

The two biggest issues Ive seen discussed are the crashes, which the patch tomorrow is supposed to address, and the lack of full engine management which is supposed to be in there and is even refered to in the manual. I know there is a second patch planned after the first, so Im hoping this will be addressed then. Without the crashes though Im comfortable saying its an enjoyable and graphically pleasing sim.

Dan

Is it leagues ahead of the original? I'm not worried about graphics so much, but I remember being disappointed in the original B-17 for two main reasons

a) German fighters were ridiculously easy to shoot down

and

B) the B-17 (in my quivering hands, anyway) was almost impossible to land in one piece

Is this simply a graphical update for B-17 or has the gameplay significantly been altered? The reviews I've read don't allude to either of my two concerns.

Guest machineman

On the B-17 board at Combatsim [before it went pay only frown.gif ] people were reporting much reduced problems when machines had massive amounts of Ram, 256 and above.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

If B-17 made their list, perhaps it is not such an honour for CM to be listed? Did Squad Leader break the top 10?

Michael,

PCG is an overall desent magazine. In some cases, they will give a buggy game a higher score then it deserves if it is revolutionary (ie - Shogun, B-17, some other I cant think of right now). They will always mention the bugs though, so Im not too concerned about the quality of their publication.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Dan

Thx dan, I was hopeing to relive some SWOTL memories from flying & gunning in the B-17 & It says you can jump in the fighters so that seemed a bonus & the screen shots look amazeing as well.

For anyone interested 2 reviews on B-17 I found interesting were:

http://www.dogfighter.com/reviews/show.php3?review=978107415

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/reviews/b17ff2/index.shtml

Regards, John Waters

------------------

In regards to B-17II, I've heard lots of problems with bugs/CTDs. That's bad enough but the game requires a herculean system to run it to get the most out of it. Graphics seem quite good and the subject matter is different, so it's a plus alright. But the biggest disappointment is the lack of multiplayer to allow you and your buddies to fully man a Flying Fortress... large letdown there from all the hype they've built up. I would have bought it but several factors kept me from doing so.

1. The aforementioned bugs/CTDs.

2. Though I loved Microprose in the past (I still have European Air War and Falcon 4.0, some of their last best masterpieces) I don't see any further support from them other than a patch or two to put out SOME of the flames. Have any of you seen the latest Gunship! game? That and the proposed linkup/multiplayer ability with M1 Tank Platoon 3 would've been great but Gunship! was waaaay arcadey (helos bouncing off the ground) and Hasbro killed M1TP3 while in development since it caters to more hardcore simmers. I suspect B-17II will be the last of any serious combat sims from Microprose unfortunately. Oh well, at least I got CM, Comanche vs. Hokum, and gonna get Steel Beasts...

------------------

"Uncommon valor was a common virtue"-Adm.Chester Nimitz of the Marines on Iwo Jima