Rookie here - just ordered CS - few ?'s for you vets to help with please

Hi all - appreciate the time to read my post and questions - let me first say that the community that plays this game at least by what I can tell from the message boards seems to be one of the best I have seen regardless of age and I am looking forward to getting to know some of you all -

I am a big pc gamer of all types ranging from once being a feared Tribes player ( dont stick your head over that hill wink.gif )to my biggest addiction Everquest ( Evercrack is more like it ) but in real life I am a history buff ( going back to school to finish history degree after becoming sick of working as a network admin ) and WWII is my fav area to study.

So I figured this game will be agreat opputunity to finally find a good ( hopefully great ) WWII game as. Anyway heres some questions I am sure have been asked before so please excuse my redundancy as any help in posts or emails would be appreciated

1.Any major general tips,words of advice you would give a first time player that you wish you had known the first time you installed it?

2.Any specific areas , add-ons-types of play etc you would advise to stay away from in the beginning for a new player ?

3.Just wondered how easy the game is to learn - is it a frantic pace from the get go that gets you frustrated or is a learning curve in game also ?

Thanks for any help as am looking forward to playing

Congradulations on doing the right thing and ponying up the cashish for the game.

In answer to your questions,

1) No. There is nothing I found out later that I wish I had known before installing the game.

2) If I understand the question correctly then I would answer it by saying to start off with the smaller games. You might get yourself lost in the big ones. Which brings me to .....

3) The game is extremely easy to play. What takes time is playing well. The mechanics, as you have probably seen in the demo, are very simple. Starting with game on the smaller side will teach you the ins and outs better than anything anyone can tell.

------------------

"When they finally put you in the ground..I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down" Elvis Costello

Welcome aboard. You will not regret it at all. This is a thinker's game.

Elvis pretty well anmswered your questions accurately. I agree with #1.

For #2, I might add that as far as "add-ons" go, there are a blinkin' ton of 'em. None of which affect game play at all. However, they ALL make the game a whole lot more visibly appealing (Thanks all you modders smile.gif) You have no choice but to look around and see which ones suit you the best.

Also for #3, I wouls say to initially check out the training scenarios, then, like Elvis said, stick to the smaller ones. I would become at least reasonably proficient at beating the AI before you try live opponents; live opponents are always tougher to beat. If you do not try the very biggest scenarios and operations first, you will learn very quickly, I am sure smile.gif

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

Originally posted by MjrKonig:

3.Just wondered how easy the game is to learn - is it a frantic pace from the get go that gets you frustrated or is a learning curve in game also ?

A minute to learn -- a lifetime to master.

------------------

Out of commission, become a pillbox.

Out of ammo, become a bunker.

Out of time -- become heroes...

Originally posted by MjrKonig:

1.Any major general tips,words of advice you would give a first time player that you wish you had known the first time you installed it?

No. When you put the CM CD in the drive. It has no auto-run. Just access your CD drive and double-click on "Setup.exe" and the game installs without a hitch. The current version of CDs being sent out is v1.11. There is a v1.12 pacth that came out simulataneously really, so you'll need the new patch to be compatible with any new scenarios made with v1.12 or to play PBEMs or TCP games.

2.Any specific areas , add-ons-types of play etc you would advise to stay away from in the beginning for a new player ?

As others have said, stick with small battles at first to get the jist of play. Hell for that matter, I don't like playing large battles, mainly because I don't wanna spend the time playing them. For a quick CM fix, I usually play TINY to MEDIUM sized battles. Those sizes are based upon the number of units, not the size of the battlefield.

As for add-ons, yes feel free to jump on them as much as you want. As the games code is hard-coded, meaning no 3rd party tweaks, the game remains unchanged as to its playability. But what CAN change is the graphics and sounds. These are known as MODS. There are litterally hundreds of MODS out there. For example a really nice set of Hi-Res Sherman mods have just been released that provide a awesome enhancement to all of the US Shermans in the game along with the British Sherman II as it shared the same textures as the US M4A1. That's a big problem with CM as it shares textures among similar vehicles and stuff. So we are kinda limited as to the specialized variety we can make.

Also you'll probably want to grab the terrain mods as they really change the look of the game. The stock terrain looks rather cartoonish compared to what has been released since. Grab DD's Terrain sets and Panzertruppen's Buildings. Also get DD's uniforms as they contain a new more realistic looking uniform for every soldier type in the game.

As the game is turn-based/simulataneous resolution there is no frantic pace. You can sit and ponder each move as long as you want. Only hit GO! when you're ready. The game was done this way because there is no way that you could effectively order up to a Battallion + worth of units in real-time on a 3D battlefield. Something the Close Combat crowd doesn't understand, BTW. wink.gif

The order menu interface is very simple and straight forward. Select a unit, right click to bring up the orders menu select your order and draw out lines and right-click for waypoints as to where you want that unit to move or shoot at. And if you plot through impassable terrain, the Tac AI will automatically reroute the movement path around the obstacle.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

"I do what I likes, and I likes what I do."--Darrell Hammond (portraying Bill Clinton), SNL

Here's my advice to you:

When you insert CM into your CD drive for the first time, immediately go into your control panel and change the name of the drive from D to CM as the game won't be leaving its new home any time soon.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Youth is wasted on the young.

heheheh!! i can't wait the 2 shipping days that im gonna have to wait, should be one day now, as i ordered it yesterday... one tip: play the demo... it is not as fun as the full version will be (i guess) but it is still a lot of fun... oh!, and from what i speculate, if this game is as realistic as i have seen,

1.)

-British tanks are better than american ones

-British infantry is the worst infantry

-American tanks are the most inferior

-American infantry is the best, due to semi automatic rifles

-German tanks rule all

-German infantry is roughly equal to American infantry, with the exception of carrying more automatic weapons

-german MG-42 is best machine gun, great for suppressive fire, and hosing down advancing infantry (gotta love that 1200rpm fire rate)

Guest barrold713

Welcome! The CM Borg should be along to assimilate you soon.

While you wait for the game to arrive, you can monitor the effect on time that CM generates.

Before the game arrives, time will seem to stand still. A day will seem to a week and a week might even lengthen into a month and a half.

After CM arrives and you install it, time will shrink to the point that you will find that ten hours will have past and it will only seem like you were playing for an hour.

Seriously though, the recommendations regarding the terrain and unit mods really flesh out a truly revolutionary game engine. The genius of this design has allowed some truly talented and generous people on this board to change almost every graphic, sound, and interface without affecting the gameplay. The only caveat to the previous gushing praise is that the high resolution mods can slow a low end system, especially on larger maps with lots of units.

If you have not had the opportunity to check out the CM related sites, that is something I would recommend to you. Not only can you find all of the mods to make the game fit the look you like best, but there are tons of add-on scenarios, tips on play, reviews on the pro's and con's of different units, and lots of other information that will keep this game fresh and addictive months after you first play it.

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Originally posted by Cleavis, commented by me:

-British tanks are better than american ones

Goes without saying... wink.gif

-British infantry is the worst infantry

No, the German Volkssturm is worse.

-American tanks are the most inferior

No, the Free French... but these are American tanks. Silly me! wink.gif

-American infantry is the best, due to semi automatic rifles

No, they're good allpurpose, but there are better German infantry options for every task imaginable. (The German stormtroopers (Sturmkompanie) are the very best allpurpose infantry, but they're also very high rated.)

-German tanks rule all

... that don't know how to counter them properly. German tanks are generally good against Allied armour, but have problems with towed ATGs and airstrikes.

-German infantry is roughly equal to American infantry, with the exception of carrying more automatic weapons

There's only one version of US infantry (not counting the airborne types), but several different versions of German infantry with very different charachteristics.

-german MG-42 is best machine gun, great for suppressive fire, and hosing down advancing infantry (gotta love that 1200rpm fire rate)

It's good, I admit, but not sure it's the best. The M2 HMG is better against vehicles, and the Vickers has better sustained ROF.

Cheers

Olle