CM2 suggestion

Guest philwil

Guest philwil

I hope I'm not covering old ground here (been offline for a month), but I just want to make a suggestion to Bigtime for CM2.

First, CM is probably the best wargame I've ever played. No complaints. This is a FANTASTIC WW2 sim.

What I'd really like to see though, in CM2, is a Grand Campaign, a la CC.

Where CC really scored (albeit with crap AI, insufficient playtesting etc.) was in the Grand Campaign. That wonderful sense of anticipation, of strategic planning, thinking ahead over days or weeks. That feeling of, ok maybe I just lost this battle, but what's next, what's around the corner, over the next hill? What's coming up behind me to make up for my losses here.

Yep, I know CM has Operations, but so far there aren't enough (or they're too big and hence too slow on a moderate machine like mine), and they still only cover a few battles.

It's thinking of goals and objectives days/weeks ahead, that really gave CC an edge.

Bigtime, is this possible? I LOVE what you've done, and all the add-ons from so many devotees. But I'd love a Grand Campaign next time around.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by philwil:

I'd love a Grand Campaign next time around.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do a search on "campaign" (in the subject field) and you'll get all the answers from BTS about this you could want.

As GP said, they've indicated that it's not something they will do.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phoenix:

Do a search on "campaign" (in the subject field) and you'll get all the answers from BTS about this you could want.

As GP said, they've indicated that it's not something they will do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course such a campaign can be managed

by the third party 'dungeon master' who

sets up a sequence of maps and allocates

forces/resupply etc. on the basis of

earlier results. (I'm sure this has

already been suggested before but I

hate searching)

regards,

--Rett

Guest MantaRay

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by philwil:

This is a FANTASTIC WW2 sim.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not a simulation...it is a revolation. smile.gif

Ray

BTW, my dream has always been to have a Grand Campaign game like CM, but one without a set course. Maybe someday.

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Although campaigns are not very realistic in some ways, they are undeniably FUN. All I played in Steel Panthers was campaigns.

------------------

You've never heard music until you've heard the bleating of a gut-shot cesspooler. -Mark IV

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phoenix:

As GP said, they've indicated that it's not something they will do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who cares what BTS says or wants? WE SAY THAT WE WANT IT!!! smile.gif

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

http://www.scipiobase.de/cm_mods.htm

The Grand Campaign in Close Combat was a joke! The player was ostensibly a company commander, yet he was allowed to mix SS and regular army units, for example, the order of battle was nothing like historical, and retaining units was problematic as well.

I do like the idea of having a campaign where your own success/failure affects the overall strategic campaign. Surely this was true. I think they tried to model that into airplane games like Battle of Britain (by Lucasarts) or Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe - though the entire war was TOO closely modelled on the player's successes/failures.

For a true campaign, I would like to see the player be given a battalion. Some battles the player would only be allowed to commit a company or two, other battles/operations he would get maybe an additional battalion to support his. Supporting units would be random.

Maybe some battles would be a simply platoon sized patrol, in which he has to recce an enemy force. But you could simulate a week, a month, or the entire NW European campaign.

I think you would want to track the progress of your troops, though, so there would need to be a mechanism to have them advance in responsibility as well as individual characteristics.

For chrome, there is the question of awarding decorations to the personalities in the game.

We discussed this in another thread and someone suggested that the player start out as a platoon commander in the campaign - he only gets to command his own platoons (the AI does the rest for him) until he is promoted to company command, than battalion. That too is a neat idea. As a platoon commander he could only use view settings 1 and 2, etc. Many good ideas out there.

I wasn't at all impressed with Close Combat, especially now comparing it to CM. The maps were insanely detailed, but I would rather have generic artwork that allows for flexibility - surely CM's Quick Battles are the best thing since sliced bread. CC's Battle of the Bulge just got tedious - the campaign system was a bit better, but no less silly, shuttling around platoon and company sized units and calling them regiments. And fighting on the same stupid maps over and over and over again - the worst one was the one with the round stone tower, and you have to set up practically in a back alley in the corner of the map and cross an exposed bridge before you get to do anything. Thanks but no thanks.