Problem with resolution

Now, I changed resolution because of the fact that my desktop was filling up. I deleted the preferences of CM, and started up. It crashed with a type two error. Not enough memory. So, I gave it more ram. It's now at 160 mb, and I have 160 Mb of real ram and 90 mb of virtual memory. Still didn't work. I thought it may ahve something to do with the intro screen still being at 800 * 600. So I changed my intro screen to something else. It started up. Victory, I thought. However, as I tried to load a game, it crashed as it loaded the 3D models. No error message. I installed some interface mods, but the problem remained. Now, I turn to the collective wisdom of the CM players. did anyone have something similar? How did they solve it? Please help me, I can't live without my CM... smile.gif

My system is an iMac rev. C, with 160 mb of ram and 90 mb of virtual memory. Standard video card....

------------------

Gilthoniel A Elbereth!

A Elbereth Gilthoniel

o menel palan-diriel,

le nallon sí di'nguruthos!

A tiro nin, Fanuilos!

Start with going into the system folder and tossing the prefs file for CMBO. Start up CM and it should work.

Next choice replace just the application cmbo from your CD or using the upgrade you downloaded for V1.12. Set real ram on the app to be @60mb

Turn off virtual memory in either case.

Have you installed any other new software or hardware of late? Maybe something new was replaced by something old (Ihate installer programs that do this). Run the new video drivers that came with the 1.12 upgrade, they generally work better for all games and so on.

Madmatt has said that disabling the backside cache can help though I've never needed to on my revB or my slot loading iMacs and don't personally suggest it.

Kindly post with any progress. Thanks

Originally posted by kmead:

Start with going into the system folder and tossing the prefs file for CMBO. Start up CM and it should work.

Next choice replace just the application cmbo from your CD or using the upgrade you downloaded for V1.12. Set real ram on the app to be @60mb

Turn off virtual memory in either case.

Have you installed any other new software or hardware of late? Maybe something new was replaced by something old (Ihate installer programs that do this). Run the new video drivers that came with the 1.12 upgrade, they generally work better for all games and so on.

Madmatt has said that disabling the backside cache can help though I've never needed to on my revB or my slot loading iMacs and don't personally suggest it.

Kindly post with any progress. Thanks

fragged Cm prefernces.

disabled virtual memory

installed opengl that came with 1.1.2

redownloaded combat mission patch, replaced application wiht one from patch

set memory to 60mb

didn't help. Still the same crash.... Hmmm. And it did work with 800*600. Should I perhaps reinstall CM completly? It is gonna be a bit difficult to replace my mods, but it could be done...

Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Copy and rename your BMP folder, uninstall then re-install CM. Now copy your BMP folder back and it should be as good as before. Also don't forget to copy any save games, scenarios and sounds.

That is for the PC but I guess its prolly about the same for Mac.

Ok, i'll give that a try... hope it works...

Copy and rename your BMP folder, uninstall then re-install CM. Now copy your BMP folder back and it should be as good as before. Also don't forget to copy any save games, scenarios and sounds.

That is for the PC but I guess its prolly about the same for Mac.

Did that. Still, the game crashes as it's loading the 3d models...

Well, you have a more serious problem then. Did ou try loading it BEFORE you returned your BMP folder? Not that it matters other than the slight possibility that it is high-res mods crashing your game.

I think it is a hardware issue. Do you have any other 3D intensive games.? If so fire them up and see.

So let me get this straight: you were at 800x600 and when you went up in resolution to whatever is next(852x 1164 or 1200x1600)it crashed. Did you reset it to 800x600 or are you still trying to raise it?

Check video drivers and make sure your monitor can support that resolution. If it can't your computer might be smart enough to keep you from going to that high of a resolution until CM "forces" it to go, thereby causing the crash.

Sound feasible? I'm no expert after all...

Well, you have a more serious problem then. Did ou try loading it BEFORE you returned your BMP folder? Not that it matters other than the slight possibility that it is high-res mods crashing your game.

I think it is a hardware issue. Do you have any other 3D intensive games.? If so fire them up and see.

So let me get this straight: you were at 800x600 and when you went up in resolution to whatever is next(852x 1164 or 1200x1600)it crashed. Did you reset it to 800x600 or are you still trying to raise it?

Check video drivers and make sure your monitor can support that resolution. If it can't your computer might be smart enough to keep you from going to that high of a resolution until CM "forces" it to go, thereby causing the crash.

Sound feasible? I'm no expert after all...

What happened is the follwing: my desktop ran out of space, so I canged the resolution of my computer to 1024*768. No problem at all. I try to run CM, it crashes. And I tested it, it works if I changes my resolution back to 800*600, but that messes up my desktop. All other games I have played with my new resoltution work... Perhaps it is one of the mods. I should prlly install a second copy and test it before installing any mods.

Have you tried a full clean install to a new folder of CMBO? You don't need to overwrite the original or your downloads. Just a new folder. After the reload dump the prefs, agian. and start up the new one. Your iMac can run the basic graphics CM comes with, it is unlikely to be able to handle extensive mods with higher resolution with its 6mb of Vram. This is unusual as I haven't seen many problems myself, though i have read others posts and helped get others up and running. Good luck post progress. Many thanks Karl Mead

No, no, no. You are all trying to solve a problem that does not (necessarily) exist. Simply put all of that stuff you have on your desktop into one or more folders (it's neater that way, anyway) and keep your resolution at 800x600.

You do, however have a slight (enforced) problem with higher resolutions. It sounds like one of your BMPs may be corrupt. Install a fresh copy (from the CD) of your BMPs, then replace, one by one, your third-party mods, each time restarting CMBO to see if it stalls. This will enable you to find which mod is corrupt and you can download a new one.

That is, if you really HAVE to run at a higher resolution.

Originally posted by stevetherat:

No, no, no. You are all trying to solve a problem that does not (necessarily) exist. Simply put all of that stuff you have on your desktop into one or more folders (it's neater that way, anyway) and keep your resolution at 800x600.

true, but I like the fact that I cna mkae the window larger as well. Anyway, I'll just live with it, I guess...