Visited the local Bookstore today...

...and found this intresting medium-sized hardcover. It covers Soviet, French, British & American infantry weapons: rifles with seperate chapters for bolt-action & self-loading; sub-machine guns, light, medium & heavy machineguns each in seperate chapters; mortars; anti-tank weapons; pistols; hand grenades; portable flamethrowers; and infantry artillery. It's been an enjoyable read so far.

book1.jpg

Also bought a paperback called "Fighting in Hell, the German Ordeal on the Eastern Front" which has chapters on Russian soldiers and their conduct of battle; sub-chapters on the commisar, battle techniques, Russian command echelons; a section on 'Peculiarities of Russian tactics', chapters on the Red Air Force; seperate chapters on each season and the effect on tactics, etc. etc. Looks very informative but I've only skimmed through it so far.

-Tiger

Fighting in Hell is just a single volume compilation of several war department studies (DA PAM 20-201, 231, 236, 290, 291, 233, 234, 244, 292, 269). They've been around since 1951. Someone just decided to get smart and sell them as a collection. They might even been available as PDFs these days.

Some of them are online here:

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/online/Bookshelves/WW2-GerPer.htm

Just got the war diary of the Wehrmachtsführungsstab (1961 Percy Schramm) from the public library of my former home town. The folks were just about to put it into the dump! Just because I refused to go away after I noticed that it was deleted from the catalogue they took the effort to search the cellar for it (and believe me, they would have had to call the police to force me to give up).

Pretty expensive, though, since the 4 volumes are distributed over 7 books and I had to pay by book, I had to pay 14 Deutschmarks altogether, that is more than 6 U.S. Dollars!