Buting Combat Mission on Internet - Why no secure download area

Hi

I'm pretty impressed with the Demo of Combat Mission however i'm put off buying it because the pricing works out expensive compare to PC Games in uk (Mail Order usually circa £25) and additionally the time taken before delivery.

Why isn't their a secure download area for people who register the game so they can download the game then and their including say the manual in pdf format. In thory it should save on costs of the game and therefore bring the price to more realistic levels.

Anyone in the UK have experience of buying the game, how long did it take and what are your impressions of value for money?

Miles

Buy it!...as simple as that. Value for money? - YES! - no battle is ever the same. Support from BTS and this forum is unmatched anywhere!.

I'm in the UK - Took 3 weeks to be delivered, but bare in mind that i pre-ordered before the game was released and there was huge worldwide demand for CMBO when it first started shipping. BTS were initially overwhelmed by the sheer number of orders so a delay was experienced in getting the game shipped. They have since rectified any shortcomings in the ordering process. I would expect you to have to wait, probably 2 weeks max. Maybe someone living in the UK who has ordered more recently can give you a more accurate delivery time.

Best game i've ever played and i'm sure a lot of people will back me up on that.

Why no secure d/l area? - well, it's a big d/l. Sure, it wouldn't take weeks, but ordering via the Battlefront website is painless and convenient. Perhaps someone from BTS would like to comment on this?.

------------------

COMBAT MISSIONS - Resources For Combat Mission

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 01-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Manx (edited 01-21-2001).]

Guest Germanboy

Miles,

there is no secure DL area because BTS only has a modem connection to the internet. It would be very expensive and add considerable to the overheads if they had to pay webhosting. It would also make the bad guys' lives a lot easier, because than there would have to be a pdf manual etc.pp. Also, the full game is around 500-700MB, so you don't really want to DL it with anything less than a cable modem. You are lucky if you have one in the UK, but most people simply can't afford that type of connection. So it does not make a lot of sense for BTS to go to the expense of providing the service.

Game takes about 8-14 days to get delivered and is well worth the money, since you will never have to buy another game. I spent US$14 to pick up Close Combat 2 in a bargain bin two years ago. I still regret that. I will never regret shelling out US$45 for Combat Mission.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Hi Miles

I purchased in early december and if memory serves it took about 10 days. Cost about 38sterling. Worth it .. you bet. Believe me a proper book (172 page) compared to a PDF is such a joy to handle.

Yesterday I oredered two copies for my son and my brother ..... Any thought of ripping of BTS by copying is just not on. These guys livelihoods are on the line.

Get the game you'll never regret it ....

and there is only a handful of games you can say that about. Happy gaming!

Don't think, BUY !

It took about 10 days for my copy to arrive and cost about £35.

To be honest since it came I haven't purchased another game so the extra £10 spent is worth every penny.

It is very rare these days to get a game of such quality with such a lasting appeal. Most games I have played in past last only a couple of weeks until something new is released. Not CM.

Hope this helps

Tiny

smile.gif

------------------

War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

Bertrand Russell

Guest MantaRay

Miles, I don't understand the arguement you make about it being higher priced than other games. I do not live in the UK and the game by comparison is a bit less for me, but you also have to remember that this is one of the top games to ever come out on a PC.

Knowing that, I would liken it to buying a car. You could go out and buy a Yugo, but why not get a Ferrari if it is on the lot.

Ray

PS Besides, how many games will be on your hard drive for years to come? You gotta have something to do on all those dreary days in the U.K. smile.gif

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

Click now for shelter from the Peng thread

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Hi Guys

Yep you've convinced me. I also hadn't appretiated that the game would be 700MB thought we were looking at say 60MB which a phone download would handle quite nicely.

While I ponder when to make the order was their anything in the actual game that you thought wow - compared to obviously the demo wink.gif

Appretiate all the thoughts thanks. Amazed at how active this forum is compared to say Sudden Strikes.

Miles

QB or Quick Battles, the ability to very quickly create abattle on your own and the Map editor are not in the demo. Those of us who played the demo (ah the beta days!) know exactly how long you can play the same scen. That is up until the minute you've got the real thing in your hands. I don't cry at weddings nor scream when I hear a Beatles tune (yeah..I AM that old). So when I say this game is the best wargame ever I actually mean it. Break out the credit card, mate...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Miles.Osborne:

Hi

I'm pretty impressed with the Demo of Combat Mission however i'm put off buying it because the pricing works out expensive compare to PC Games in uk (Mail Order usually circa £25) and additionally the time taken before delivery.

Why isn't their a secure download area for people who register the game so they can download the game then and their including say the manual in pdf format. In thory it should save on costs of the game and therefore bring the price to more realistic levels.

Anyone in the UK have experience of buying the game, how long did it take and what are your impressions of value for money?

Miles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may not want to "buting" combat mission, what that means in UK slang I shiver to guess, but I would buy it in a heart beat.