Normandy Landing scenarios?

Guest barrold713

I downloaded and played the Nan Beach scenario (thanks Mike!) and while it was fun, it does show that CM was not really meant to recreate these landings.

In my case, I lost about 20% of my units, including all of my artillery except for a 81mm FO on the first turn. The second turn was almost as bad and soon I was down to about half my force with very little to show for the losses. The assault boats are just too flimsy as I believe is stated in the briefing or some other place and the attrition of landing craft is higher than would have been historically acceptable.

I haven't tried it giving myself a higher force percentage advantage. Maybe I could get an FO on the beach to soften up those freakin' bunkers! smile.gif

For shore bombardments during the landings, would the naval guns have needed a FO on the beach to direct fire against these sort of defenses? I don't really think so and of course I know this is a limitation in the game, but I wonder if there is some way to better simulate naval support during the landings.

Maybe I will edit the scenario to check an idea I just had to see if this works. Specifically I am thinking of adding a couple "islands" offshore to put the FO on so that they are not immediately targeted by the AI in their boats. I'll let you know if this works and if it unbalances the game too much.

BDH

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Originally posted by barrold713:

I downloaded and played the Nan Beach scenario (thanks Mike!) and while it was fun, it does show that CM was not really meant to recreate these landings.

In my case, I lost about 20% of my units, including all of my artillery except for a 81mm FO on the first turn. The second turn was almost as bad and soon I was down to about half my force with very little to show for the losses. The assault boats are just too flimsy as I believe is stated in the briefing or some other place and the attrition of landing craft is higher than would have been historically acceptable.

I haven't tried it giving myself a higher force percentage advantage. Maybe I could get an FO on the beach to soften up those freakin' bunkers! smile.gif

For shore bombardments during the landings, would the naval guns have needed a FO on the beach to direct fire against these sort of defenses? I don't really think so and of course I know this is a limitation in the game, but I wonder if there is some way to better simulate naval support during the landings.

Maybe I will edit the scenario to check an idea I just had to see if this works. Specifically I am thinking of adding a couple "islands" offshore to put the FO on so that they are not immediately targeted by the AI in their boats. I'll let you know if this works and if it unbalances the game too much.

BDH

Interesting comments. Especially since I don't have assault boats in my scenario! LOLOLOLOLOL!

I think I would be interested in playing whatever scenario you are talking about as well!

The invasion landings took place after the naval gunfire and aerial bombardment stopped. This is the intent of CM (it says so right in the manual), and "on call" artillery was no available to the assault troops. The situation in my scenario depicts the actual conditions facing A Company, QOR - unharmed bunkers and late tank support. It is designed more as an illustration than as a tournament style battle.

Some of the real assault companies did indeed suffer 50 percent casualties with nothing to show for their losses but the fact that the other half made it to the seawall. Fun? NO way, which is why BTS has publicly stated their lack of interest in simulating beach landing scenarios. But it seems historical - to me, anyway.

------------------

CANUCK: Clothing, Equipping and Employing the Canadian Soldier in Combat Mission