An idea for an addition to the game

I don't know if it would be possible but I think it would be nice if the player could access the detailed description of a vehicle while in the purchase screen. I don't know how hard this would be to implement but since I am not really a grognard I sometimes think this detailed information would be very helpful when making final decisions on purchases for a quick battle.

Hmmm... I have to admit, I like the idea. It would be VERY nice to compare the really intricate details when trying to mull over what units to procure.

Right now, it's really just rely on prior knowledge and experience, and that's too happenstance.

Can't imagine it would be hard. Add a purchase button and an info button tied into the same data screens we get on the field.

(So you could select a unit and either buy it or get info first.)

Guest Madmatt

This is on the "List" for future inclusion. Not sure if it will make it into CM2 or not though, will have to wait and see but we agree it would be a nice addition.

Madmatt

Ditto and ditto. In many ways, CM is a very newbie-unfriendly game. Since a large segment of CM's audience (and potential audience) is composed of those who don't have an intimate knowledge of WWII weaponry, this feature would be extremely useful (along with a full unit database and a paragraph description of each unit in the manual).

------------------

War is cruel and you cannot refine it. --Sherman

FYI, don't know if you are aware this is available, but my solution is to alt-tab into excel and use the unit database: http://w1.312.telia.com/~u31213280/index.htm

(under the "addons" button)

Incidentally, Madmatt - Any reason you don't have a link to this file at CMHQ? I have a bear of a time trying to find it every time I look for the URL.

[This message has been edited by A Arabian (edited 01-02-2001).]

I know about it, but we don't all have Excel, and the database, if it's the one I'm thinking of, isn't fully functional with the free Excel viewer. Thanks for the tip, regardless.

Of course, most new players won't have heard of it, either. The game should really provide more info itself.

------------------

War is cruel and you cannot refine it. --Sherman

Gremlin - yeah, forgot that it was macro based and wouldn't be accessible with the viewer. I thought the data would still be available, though the nifty unit screen might not. I dropped a line to the guy who put it together asking if he would be offended were I to try to make something a bit more accessible for the non-excel owning folks.

I know BTS had grand plans for putting a lot more on the CD - most notably they were going to provide the penetration diagrams which would have been really cool, but they didn't have room. I completely agree though that having that info on the CD would have been great (and in the force slection window would have been even better). I think putting it in the manual would have turned it into a book in and of itself, which wouldn't have been practical.

[This message has been edited by A Arabian (edited 01-02-2001).]