Sd.Kfz and SPW

Okay, I have seen half-tracks listed as both SPW 251/1 and Sd.Kfz 251/1, so I am wondering why the difference in names. I have also seen the Sd.Kfz 251/1 listed as a weaponless prime mover.

Why are the HTs sometimes listed seemingly interchangably, between these two abbreviations, and what do they mean?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

My god I think my head just exploded! Okay, it appears that Sd.Kfz is the official title, but SPW was the unofficial designation given from the developers of the variations.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sort of. Think of it this way.

An M113 is an APC. APC describes a whole class of vehicle. M113 is the specific designation of just one type of APC.

An Sd Kfz 251 is an SPW. SPW describes a whole class of vehicle. Sd Kfz 251 is the specific designation of just one type of SPW.

"Sd Kfz" on its own does not describe anything - it could be a halftrack, a tank, or a half-tracked motorcycle, depending on the number you use behind it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Tanks tend to be PzKpfw, of course. And let's not forget the KlPzBefw!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK David, I knwo you're just dying to tell us... what the hell is an "KlPzBefw"

And don't try to convince me it's a Kleine(small) Panzer(tank) captured from the BEF (Dunkirk) with wet ammo stowage!

Regards

Jim R.

Guest Babra

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Tanks tend to be PzKpfw, of course. And let's not forget the KlPzBefw!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although they are PzKw in the same way as the halftrack is a SPW, all German tanks carry a SonderKraftfarhzeug number as well. The Tiger II, King Tiger, PzKw VIB, whatever you want to call it, is officially the SdKfz 181

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Sort of. Think of it this way.

An M113 is an APC. APC describes a whole class of vehicle. M113 is the specific designation of just one type of APC.

An Sd Kfz 251 is an SPW. SPW describes a whole class of vehicle. Sd Kfz 251 is the specific designation of just one type of SPW.

"Sd Kfz" on its own does not describe anything - it could be a halftrack, a tank, or a half-tracked motorcycle, depending on the number you use behind it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Truth shines through the words of Mr Dorosh....however, to confuse the matter further, let's not forget though that mittlerer Schützenpanzerwagen mSPW and leichter Schützenpanzerwagen leSPW were official designations of the Sd.Kfz. 251 and Sd.Kfz. 250 series respectively, so these designations aren't entirely generic, although basically they are.