Monitor

Hello everyone! Around a month ago, I read a post on recommened 19" monitors. I have done a search and used many different key words but could not come up with the thread. I thought the recommended cost/performance leader was a monitor with an "LD" in the name but I'm not sure. The "LD" could be a distractor as well, I may have it all wrong. Can I get some help from the crowd?

Thanks,

Horrido

They might have mean 'LG.' We are looking at one of their 19" versions in the office right now. Reasonably good picture for the price and relaitvely small footprint for a 19" display.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

I would suggest the Hitachi CFM 771. I just got one myself for about $300. Good color quality, flatter tube, right price. Big footprint tho.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

In general, 17" or 19" monitors are the best value, depending on whether you want a medium or large monitor. Apparently a good shadow mask monitor is comparable to a Trinitron, so if you're not obsessed with image clarity (like me), that would be good value (shadow mask monitors are distinguishable by their compound curve, whereas Trinitrons are either horizontally curved or flat).

There are not too many tube manufacturers, so the brand of monitor you buy is not particularly important. For example, you will get a monitor from X company with a Sony tube. If it's a Trinitron then it's Sony anyway. Mitsubishi competes with the Diamondtron.

One rather important aspect of a monitor is its resolution. Where I used to work (a graphics company), there were people who had their 21" monitors running at a lower resolution than the 17" I use at home. My 17" tops out at 1600x1200 @ 60Hz, although 60Hz is a bit flickery – you want at least 70Hz. I've currently got my eye on a 21" monitor which maxes at something like 1800x1440. However, this is pretty high res – normally I use my 17" at 1280x960, which is higher than average for the size. You will find a manufacturer offering different models, and the more expensive models of the same size probably support higher resolutions. You probably want at least 15" @ 1024x768, 17" @ 1280x960, or 21" @ 1600x1200 (19" would be somewhere in between the latter two), but it should be able to go higher.

So the main factors to look out for are size, tube, resolution and price. A cheap monitor is not a good idea. Remember it's your interface with the computer, and trust me – a good monitor can completely transform your computing experience! (I write this using a scabby Compaq monitor while my Apple 17" is connected to the PC.) =)

David

button.gif

[This message has been edited by David Aitken (edited 01-19-2001).]

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Dot pitch: Is the space between each pixel triad, measured in millimeters. Generally, the smaller the dot pitch, the sharper the images, though be warned a very small dot pitch can result in loss of brightness and contrast. Typically, a good dot pitch range is from .28mm to .24mm.

Refresh rate:The rate (cycle time of delay for the elctron gun in the monitor to blast the phosphorous chemicals and hence create the glow on screen) at which each line is drawn across the screen from top to bottom. The refresh rate affects what the human eye sees as flickering on a monitor. To avoid the perception of flicker you will want a refresh rate of at least 70hz (70 cycles per second).

FTM or flat technology monitors have the added benefit of reduced glare. Not to be confused with flat-panel displays which are used in laptops and notebooks.

And if your looking to go LCD well theres a whole lot more info to be had.

But these are just some points you should be aware of.

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

Thanks everyone, I have several choices now to pick from.

David - I HOPE you did not type a new response just for me? I HOPE that was a cut-and-paste? Regardless, thank you for a well thought out and informatiove post! Your information really helped.

Horrido

Thanks for the link Pvt. Ryan, I was just about to buy another monitor and am now going to get an even better one for the review.

Horrido

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

The last issue of PC Magazine I received has an article on flat panel monitors as well as 19" CRT monitors. I think this link gives the same info contained in the magazine:

http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/stories/reviews/0,6755,2339927,00.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>