DISPLAYED anti-afv to-hit percentage reflects HQ bonus or not?

Did a search using numerous terms, couldn't find anything. Does the schreck, zook, etc to-hit percentage that is displayed during the orders phase take into account any HQ combat bonus nearby? Or is this a raw percentage just based on the other factors?

If it is a raw percentage, how much does the combat bonus increase it? That is, what is the multiplier for +1 combat skill and what is it for +2 combat skill?

I'm betting that Dshugaschwili is correct. The actual chance a man with a bazooka will hit his target SHOULD only be based on his own skill, as how could an HQ actually increase the chance a shot would hit w/o holding and/or firing the weapon himself.

The combat bonuses (lightning bolt) that a HQ unit gives to its troops would be more like an "inspirational" or "tactical" bonus I would assume. The HQ unit "inspires" the men to fight better, or to acts of valor... translated in game terms into more damage.

I'm just guessing here, but it makes sense to me. wink.gif

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

The combat bonuses (lightning bolt) that a HQ unit gives to its troops would be more like an "inspirational" or "tactical" bonus I would assume. The HQ unit "inspires" the men to fight better, or to acts of valor... translated in game terms into more damage.

If this is true, why wouldn't zooks and schrecks receive the same inspiration? I mean, the HQ isn't holding and firing his squaddies' rifles himself, so he never directly influences the physical actions of those his bonus affects anyway.

I sure would like to know the definite answer to this.

I'm warning again that I'm probably wrong here...

BUT, my idea was that perhaps the combat bonus is for MORE DAMAGE only. This would make sense (to me) as the HQ could not really help the shooters with accuracy, but could inspire them to "Acts of Valor," and thus increase the damage they do.

SO, this would not give Zooks and such (or any unit) a better hit chance.

I'd also love to hear the official BTS explanation for the COMBAT bonus, just for interests sake!

Guest Big Time Software

The Combat Bonus affects all units under command. I honestly don't know how much it affects it. It would be pretty easy to figure this out though using the Editor to cook up the right mix of units.

Binkie is correct that this does not simulate the HQ holding some grunt's rifle so he can get a better shot smile.gif Think of it as the leader exerting more efficeint control of his units to bring fire to bare on the targets being fired at. Firepower reflects the EFFECTIVENESS of the weapons doing the shooting. So one rifle squad firing without good insturctions is less effective than one firing with sound instruction. Example:

"Johnson! Stop wasting your friggin ammo! Fire only when they actually come around the corner. Jones! Don't fire until Johnson fires. And the rest of you... see that guy that is crouched behind the tree over there? Open up on him until he is either down or I say stop firing"

Contrast that with a not-so-hot leader:

"ARGH!! Shoot man, for the love of God shoot! NO! Not over there, over there you moron. Whaddya mean you don't know what I mean?!? See that tree with the leaves on it? Fire there. NO! Not THAT tree with the leaves, the OTHER tree with the leaves."

OK, that is a bit of an exaguration, but I think you get the point smile.gif

Steve

Thanks a ton for the reply Steve!

It does sound like it works in the way I imagined it. (I don't think I expressed my understanding well however.) wink.gif

I am still a bit confused on HOW in game terms it affects the units combat ability.

Does it increase overall firepower by some margin? (I should probably RTFM!)

As a side note, I recently got a great (though horrific) demonstration of HQ ability in action. I had some troops hiding in some woods, waiting in ambush. A company HQ was in command, with a HIGH stealth rating. I shifted one of my squads over a bit...

As the squad was moving, it shifted under command of a green platoon leader with zero stealth bonus. Immediately, enemy tanks fired into the woods at the sneaking squad.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 01-25-2001).]

Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Example:

"Johnson! Stop wasting your friggin ammo! Fire only when they actually come around the corner. Jones! Don't fire until Johnson fires. And the rest of you... see that guy that is crouched behind the tree over there? Open up on him until he is either down or I say stop firing"

Contrast that with a not-so-hot leader:

"ARGH!! Shoot man, for the love of God shoot! NO! Not over there, over there you moron. Whaddya mean you don't know what I mean?!? See that tree with the leaves on it? Fire there. NO! Not THAT tree with the leaves, the OTHER tree with the leaves."

Steve

This is more true than you imagine. Four years ago on the rifle range, my instructor was ex regular army, and his "coaching" sounded like

"WHYAREYOURESTINGYOURMAGAZINEONTHEGROUHDWHYDON'TYOUDOWHAT

YOUWERETOLDONYERBASICTRAININGWHAT'STHEMATTERWITHYOUANYWAY???"

I shot probably 42 out of 60.

The next year we shot with coaches from the local signals squadron - all young girls - and my coach's "coaching" consisted solely of comments like -

"(Insert syruppy girly voice here)Woooowwwwwwww.....that looked reallllllly good!"

I shot a lot better.

This fall I shot a perfect score with coaching from a woman instruc....

Hey, maybe the hippie chick has a point about modelling women in the game? Maybe my troops would shoot better...worked for me!

[This message has been edited by Michael Dorosh (edited 01-25-2001).]

Guest Michael emrys

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

This is more true than you imagine. Four years ago on the rifle range, my instructor was ex regular army, and his "coaching" sounded like

"WHYAREYOURESTINGYOURMAGAZINEONTHEGROUHDWHYDON'TYOUDOWHAT

YOUWERETOLDONYERBASICTRAININGWHAT'STHEMATTERWITHYOUANYWAY???"

I shot probably 42 out of 60.

The next year we shot with coaches from the local signals squadron - all young girls - and my coach's "coaching" consisted solely of comments like -

"(Insert syruppy girly voice here)Woooowwwwwwww.....that looked reallllllly good!"

I shot a lot better.

This fall I shot a perfect score with coaching from a woman instruc....

Hey, maybe the hippie chick has a point about modelling women in the game? Maybe my troops would shoot better...worked for me!

Like I always say, the two sexes often display strikingly different approaches to problem solving.

Male approach: "If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer."

Female approach: "If it doesn't fit, put a little grease on it and wiggle it around a little."

I have noticed over the years that the female approach is better...or at least results in fewer broken parts.

biggrin.gif

Michael