The last in service: Brazillian Stuarts

Slappie!

I'm fine, too bad you are a bit harder to find these days. Hope you are well, too.

Also, I'm afraid my knowledge of Canudos is far greater than what I know about the Stuarts (which is easy when you know nothing about the subject biggrin.gif )

About a game, I'm ready when you are!

My Sister-in-Law lives about 60km west of Canudos. I am going to have to visit there when I go down there again. From the terain down there on the "alta sertao" I imagine you could have some tank battles. Brazil isn't all tropical, a good part the Northeast or "nordeste" in Brazil is very arid, cactus and everything, some places remind me a little of New Mexico.

Even though I am a brazilian myself, I had never heard of those Stuarts in our armed forces.

"Os Sertões" is considered by many the greatest piece of brazilian literature, but it is a very hard read, even for those whose native language is portuguese.

Epée

Originally posted by Fangorn:

Slappie!

I'm fine, too bad you are a bit harder to find these days. Hope you are well, too.

Also, I'm afraid my knowledge of Canudos is far greater than what I know about the Stuarts (which is easy when you know nothing about the subject biggrin.gif )

About a game, I'm ready when you are!

Fang -- challenge me on the Grogs and send me a setup.

Originally posted by Epée:

Even though I am a brazilian myself, I had never heard of those Stuarts in our armed forces.

"Os Sertões" is considered by many the greatest piece of brazilian literature, but it is a very hard read, even for those whose native language is portuguese.

Epée

I checked it out. In one sentence I found two words not in my vocabulary, and my wife started reading and almost freaked. She said it is very archaic.

I wish it had an English Translation

I am now readinf La Guerra del fin del mundo, but have just heard of an English translation, which would be much faster and save my brain from exploding.

Slappie!

Well, the book is writen in an old fashion. It's from the last decade of the 19 century after all. There's three parts - one for the terrain, one for the men and another for the conflict. The first two are very hard to read but the final one is the best and not so difficult. Try the last one first (but your brain might explode, it is still archaic).

You can try also ("Os Sertões" for dummies)

http://www2.rantac.com.br/casaeuclidiana/sertoes.htm

and the complete version at

I'll send you a setup soon

Originally posted by Fangorn:

Slappie!

Well, the book is writen in an old fashion. It's from the last decade of the 19 century after all. There's three parts - one for the terrain, one for the men and another for the conflict. The first two are very hard to read but the final one is the best and not so difficult. Try the last one first (but your brain might explode, it is still archaic).

You can try also ("Os Sertões" for dummies)

and the complete version at

I'll send you a setup soon

Thanks for the steer Fang. I am looking forward to the setup!

I fenced a lot of Epee, that is why I have this nick.

Slapdragon, if you are going to read Os Sertões, you might want to skip the first part altogether. It only describes the geography of the region, it is difficult to read and boring. The rest of the book is excellent.

Epee

I fenced a lot of Epee, that is why I have this nick.

Slapdragon, if you are going to read Os Sertões, you might want to skip the first part altogether. It only describes the geography of the region, it is difficult to read and boring. The rest of the book is excellent.

Epee

I am indeed going to read it, unless my head explodes from the strain.

No one (or almost no one) fences epee in the US, which is why I had to finally stop -- no instructors or matches except in college. Foil and Sabre are all you get now, because the epee hurts like heck.

Heh, we are going way off topic here.

What do you mean Epee hurts like heck?

Remember with the Epee you only use the point of your weapon to score points, while with the sabre you can slash your opponents, and damn, does that hurt! Sabre is for butchers! You always end up bruised when you fence sabre!

Epee

Heh, we are going way off topic here.

What do you mean Epee hurts like heck?

Remember with the Epee you only use the point of your weapon to score points, while with the sabre you can slash your opponents, and damn, does that hurt! Sabre is for butchers! You always end up bruised when you fence sabre!

Epee

Don't you wear guards and jerkin? Foil slashes never bothered me, even from the stiffer sabre, but getting an epee in the wishbone, and my jerkin never seems to be any protection. After getting a really good hit, I know what a Sherman feels like when a pupchen hits it.