Information Needed

Hi all...

I want to do a scenario(or possibly an op) about Operation NORDWIND and more specifically the 100th Infantry Division. Now I've tried to speak with my grandfather about it some but he doesn't talk about the war too much. He has a couple books that might be of some help to be but I'm currently stationed in Germany and he's back in the states.

I was hoping some of you could point me in the rigth direction and perhaps know a few good internet sites I might want to check out. I've never done research for a scenario before and so I don't really know where to look. I've done some Googling but have not come across maps or anything else.

A big thanks in advance...

-BigD

My German consists of Hi, Bye, Thank you, 1 - 10, and a couple other words. I plan on taking a class at some point but am just too busy right now.

On the plus side, the Bitche France area is only about an hour or so away and nothing beats walking around where it happened to get a feel for the battle.

Okay. Oh! I just realized you must be talking about a US division, not about the 100th Jäger Division which served mostly in the east... redface.gif Carry on... :D

Still, it might be useful if you know about a battle you're trying to model that what the opposing unit was, to see if there are any battle maps in the other unit's history, maybe with deployments etc. I'm sure there are natives there who can help with little translations. Because often you have plenty of information about one side, but only little about the other.

Love Company

Not really full of details that would help me create a scenario but a good read. Writen by a rifleman in the same platoon my grandfather(a medic) was attached to, it gives a good account of what Love Company and more specifically 3rd platoon went through on their march from France and into Germany.

Back to the research!

Originally posted by Runyan99:

There is a book from the German perspective called "Seven Days in January" that you might want to check out.

Yeah, I've been reading about that a bit online and it's definatly something I wanna get a hold of.

Originally posted by BigDork:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Runyan99:

There is a book from the German perspective called "Seven Days in January" that you might want to check out.

Yeah, I've been reading about that a bit online and it's definatly something I wanna get a hold of. </font>