Tips for leader spotting for motors?

I assume you are talking about on-board mortars. First off, they need to be placed within the command radius of any HQ unit (obviously, leaders with command bonuses are preferable since you can place the mortar teams further away). When a mortar unit is within the radius of a leader, you can fire to any position spotted by the leader. When you place the cursor over a target area within los of the HQ, the line will remain black, but you will see the words "area fire" which indicates you can plot the fire to that point and the game assumes the HQ can correct fire, therefore you are allowed to fire. You can not directly target an enemy unit, however. Only area fire will work. Hope this helps.

In addition to the mechanics of the process as already stated, you want to have the mortars out of LOS of the enemy, preferably protected by woods or behind a building or ridge. The HQ should be in a place where he can stay hidden while still having good LOS to the target. When an HQ spots for on board mortars he stays hidden, as opposed to an arty FO that stands up to observe his target. I like to put my spotting HQ in the upper floor of a building or at the edge of a woods on a hill so that he can have a wide field of view while remaining hidden.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Louie the Toad:

Please explain: "An off board arty fo 'stands up' to observe his target". I have yet to see that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if your FO is hiding (depicted as lying down) and you decide you need him to call fire on a given target - he will stop hiding and begin calling in the coordinates. Perhaps he will not be depicted as literally standing (possibly kneeling) - but, he's stopped hiding and he's more visable to the enemy.

Now, about this "motor" question... I thought that this thread concerned a potential new command bonus given to squad/section leaders who could find & commandeer cool cars after the enemy deserted them... (i.e. Dunkirk, Operation Compass, etc.)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fairbairn-Sykes Trench Knife:

Perhaps he will not be depicted as literally standing (possibly kneeling) - but, he's stopped hiding and he's more visable to the enemy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, kneeling is what I meant.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Tips for leader spotting for motors? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the last two chapters of Ambrose's Band of Brothers - y'know, when they're at Hitler's Eagle's Nest (Berchtesgaden) - everybody in the company seemed to have decent "motor spotting" skills. I mean - they spotted Mercedes staff cars, sedans, BMW motorcycles, and Volkswagens - and were able to abscond with them all.

Shouldn't this specialized spotting ability be included in a patch? barfy.gif