Panther IR

I am very curious to know what source is correct regarding the use of IR night vision on the Panthers:

1. One of the only sources that I have seen that discusses the use of "Older model Panthers (Ausf. D and early Ausf. A)" is the Concord publication "Panther" by Thomas Abercrombie and Vincent Wai (Armor at War Series #7006), which has a lengthy discussion regarding IR Panthers on pp. 63-66, with photos.

2. Another good reference book "Panther Tank" by Thomas Jentz, Chapter 5 pages 95 and 96 states that the IR was installel in all cases on the Panther Ausf G.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else has a good reference source on the subject of IR Panthers and what models had it installed.

Thanks

RW

Originally posted by rwcanuck:

I am very curious to know what source is correct regarding the use of IR night vision on the Panthers:

1. One of the only sources that I have seen that discusses the use of "Older model Panthers (Ausf. D and early Ausf. A)" is the Concord publication "Panther" by Thomas Abercrombie and Vincent Wai (Armor at War Series #7006),

RW do a search on this topic & you will find a lengthy discussion on this topic. Also info on Abercrombie & Wai's book & some interesting data concerning the a IR Panther photo used in the book etc.

Rergards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the field".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. February 1945.

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 01-23-2001).]

Guest Mikey D

Jentz only uses original source material and as a result his books are simply amazing. A handy research rule of thumb- if three books tell you X and Jentz tells you Y, believe Y.