Secondary explosions

I've done a search and was unable to find any related topics so here I go.

I would like to see secondary explosions in CM2, of course, these secondaries would be totally random in the scope of time from when the vehicle was knocked out.

This would take into consideration the type of vehicle and the type of hit it received to knock it out in the first place.

If its not a smoking hulk it shouldn't have secondaries, but if you have a Ronson go up in a fire ball you should get secondaries soon after that.

I don't know anything about the coding that this would require, but I do know it shouldn't be too taxing on a low end system.

I assume you could code it to have from 1 to 2 secondary explosions from HE ammo cooking off.

Also code it to occur randomly from the turn after the vehicle was brewed up to turn X.

Just a suggestion, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I understand it doesn't add that much to the gameplay, but it does add a little more to the ambience.

Nothing like seeing the Shermy, you just roasted, have secondaries going off later on in the battle.

You could also possibly add a little blast radius factor to those secondaries. It would be a small blast radius value though.

Whatever is left of the crew must hustle away from their burning vehicle before the secondaries go off.

Putting a random time value in there could really work.

Also, the vehicle doesn't have to have secondaries go off at all. It would all depend on the random chance that it could happen.

Imagine, your surveying your carnage from above in one of your movie files and you see what you have laid to waste. Then, all of the sudden, your opponent's vehicle, which you toasted 10 mins ago, is having secondary explosions due to the fire hitting the HE shells. :D

The secondaries sound cool, but what about the primaries? When a Sherman goes WHOOSH nothing happens to the infantry nearby. A catastrophic explosion should cause some collateral damage (unless it didn't happen that way in RL). Perhaps these are related issues, and could be addressed in future versions.

Pvt. Ryan, I totally agree with you. I'm not sure why this wasn't addressed by BTS in the beginning when CM first came out.

A tank whooshing could/should have a blast radius that would affect the surrounding infantry when the tank was struck.

I hope this is incorporated into CM2.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

When a Sherman goes WHOOSH nothing happens to the infantry nearby. A catastrophic explosion<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try this test: shoot at a Sherman with mounted infantry.

- dead sherman, dismount with few casualties if any.

- catastrophic sherman, dismount if anyone left alive. Often 100% casualties.

So it is modelled for mounted units.

I do recall on the Russain Battlefield site with the interview with a Russian tank commander they found one of his friends with a piece of the T34 enbedded in his forhead after the HE cooked off in a burning tank. This commander had stated the ammo in the T34 tended to cook off more then the lend-lease US ammo and you wanted to get away from burning T34's.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>When a Sherman goes WHOOSH nothing happens to the infantry nearby. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One thing to bear in mind, too, is that the Germans were fully aware of the Sherman's tendency to burn and would typically continue shooting at them even after knocked out to make sure they ignited, making them unsalvageable.

As such, you'd think any nearby infantry could be sure of one hell of a bang in one way or another.

I know that infantry being embarked on a tank or halftrack are highly prone to taking casualties when that vehicle is struck.

My problem is they don't account for the infantry standing near the vehicle when it brews up.

I totally agree with Pvt. Ryan.

Why should the mounted infantry on the vehicle be killed or wounded, when the men standing a few feet away are unscathed? :confused:

I guess their pockets must be stuffed with rabbits feet and horse shoes.