Boring Mod preview: High-res train tracks

Yes, much better. I'd still like to see the ballast itself be more brown too, and the tops of the rails less shiny, but on the whole a very big improvement on the stock tracks.

Now what we need is a train mod - hmm, what vehicles might lend themselves to that kind of treatment?

voidhawk

Cement ties are a recent innovation, I think wood ties were the norm in the '40's. The ballast can get a bit more brown, but the rails have to be fairly shiny - bare metal shiny, unless one wants to mod an abandoned rail line, rust brown or that dark gray steel oxidation is not seen in constantly used rail tops.

The mod actually looks better when you can see it in CM. The jpeg of the screenshot makes the picture look even worse.

Gyrene,

Turns out we are both right - the tops of the tracks can look either shiny or dark, depending on how the light falls on them - the difference can sometimes be seen even in the same photo for parallel tracks.

The link below (found at random on the web) has many pictures showing ballast and track under various lighting conditions; all heavily used track. Note how dark the ballast is most of the time - and this is all well-maintained track.

http://www.newble.co.uk/nl/railthumbs.html

I look forward to seeing the new track set!

voidhawk