How to Model Changing Water Levels

I am designing a map for CMBB based on an actual location with a good contour map (4 x 4 km size). On this map there are two streams that are located in two deep valleys. Over the course of their 4 km runs they drop maybe 50-60 metres in elevation.

I know CMBB (and CMAK) does not let water levels change on continuous paths of water (it will set the entire watercourse at the lowest level on the river's water tiles). What tricks can I employ to mimic a drop in water level w/o ending up with land bridges separating changes in water elevation over the length of these streams? I've tried marsh tiles and that doesn't work so any ideas and workarounds would be appreciated. I don't want to end up with river tiles in a gorge at the north end of my map because this is not the way the locationis in reality.

Andrew

It's easy. Persuade BFC to change it back to the way it was in CMBO.

:(

Since you didn't mention, if there are any deep fords, replace those with rough. If you don't want infantry to come over, then put barbed wire and AP minefields from both sides in it to make sure neither side infantry would dare to cross it. Well, the AI still just might... but really, there is nothing that I know apart from those. And obviously this is a problem when the river flows so steeply.

I think map designers need to keep looking at soft ground, marsh, or even rough/rocky to represent a minor open channel (streams, creek) in cmbb/cmak.

It seems to me that BFC is not so far off the mark with the "single level" water feature. the slope of most riverbeds are so flat that in game terms there would be no drop in elevation across a 2000m map for a water feature deep enough to prevent a tracked AFV from crossing it. This would seem to be a realistic representation of an European river.

In hilly areas, one can find more significant channel slopes, but it is usually not the depth of the water that prevents the tracked vehicle from crossing, but the steep and rugged banks. If they can negotiate the bank, then they may have a chance of crossing without bogging. This would seem to be a realistic representation of an European stream or creek.

Someone just came up with a "watery" soft ground mod. I think that may be one idea to use for a stream or creek if you want visible water.

Well it's not that steep a slope. It looks just like your typical country stream. A drop of 40 m over 5 km (5000 m) lenght (with meanders) is not all that steep (0.8%). And it is more or less in a fairly wide flood plain so steep banks is not an issue except around major bends.

If I can't find a workaround that looks somewhat reasonable (like Marsh which doesn't work) then I'll probably go rough terrain to make crossing difficult.

I just wish water was modelled as it was in CMBO.

I had similar problems converting a CMBO map to CMAK. In my case, however, the marsh tiles were causing the problem. Like the water tiles in CMAK, they stay flat at the lowest elevation. No sloped marshes.

It makes sense, I guess, but it took me a while to get the map looking the way I wanted. I eventually used soft ground.

Soft ground may work as a substitute for water tiles in your case too.